Adding license key for upgraded software not as intuitive in v.7

bunko
bunko
Community Member

I just upgraded BBEdit (v. 11 to v. 12) and found adding the new license key frustrating. In prior versions, 1PW intuitively offered space below the old password to enter then new one. I finally figured out that I had to enter the new password at the bottom of the entry, after all the other info, where it stays, at the bottom, out of sight, away from the old password. Please bring back the old behaviour!

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi bunko,

Are you editing a Software License item? Or some other sort of item?

Can you post a screenshot of what you are describing?

• bunko
    bunko
    Community Member

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, I was editing a Software License. V. 6 and before had a + button after the last license, so you could add a license for a new version. Seems to be gone in V. 7 - the top panel where the licenses live can't be added to.

• bunko
    bunko
    Community Member

Here's a screenshot, showing the old license in the white panel at top, and the new license added at the bottom.

• Hi @bunko,

This behavior is intentional. We had not planned on customers attempting to store licenses across multiple versions of the software within a single 1Password item. It appears you’re adding a custom section for each new version, which is fine, if that works for you, but the ability to have this information in the top section of the item was a bug, not a feature. If you’re interested in suggestions on how to best proceed now that we’ve fixed that bug... I personally don’t usually keep old licenses around. I find in most cases they just cause clutter and confusion. When I purchase a new license I add that as a separate Software License item in 1Password and then delete the old one. In the odd case where I do want to keep both, I just skip that last step.

I’m sorry for any confusion on this point, but having custom fields listed up top in the pre-defined portion of the item template was a bug that was fixed.

Ben

ref: apple-1576

This discussion has been closed.