Jul 2 app store update won't install on macOS 10.13.5

shebert
shebert
Community Member

I have two machines running 10.13.5; one updated perfectly.

The second starts the download and then tells me that it can't install: "1Password 7 can't be open during installation".

I've tried:

• opening program + command Q
  • full reboot and trying again
  • opt+cmd+esc (program not in the list)
  • uninstalling Chrome extension
  • sudo kill -9 ### (for an processes that looked remotely 1pass related, though it didn't appear in the top -u list by that name)

Not sure where to go from here. 1Password doesn't seem to be open, and yet I can't update it.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• shebert
    shebert
    Community Member

Also tried uninstalling now, and then rebooting, at which point 1Password popped back up so wasn't uninstalled.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Please try closing 1Password 7 using control + option + command + Q, as has been mentioned in a number of recent threads (here is just one example).

Stephen

• Thanks for the assist Stephen. Please let us know how that turns out shebert.

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

So my father in law got the request to update to 7.0.7 and it won’t let him. It keeps telling him the app should be closed and won’t let him update. I try it, all closes, every app closed actually, and it keep giving me the error “the app must be closed to update”.

I tried to uninstall 1Password 7 and thought I would do a install again. 1Password 7 pops up again without me installing it! Like I never uninstalled in! I followed these instructions and 1Password will not uninstall either! I did these instructions after in deleted the icon (now you delet apps downloaded from the Mac App Store).

I am stumped now.

Any ideas?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
    Extension Version: Not sure, I reinstalled so should be the latest
    OS Version: 10.13.6
    Sync Type: 1Password for families

• @prime,

Are you quitting completely or just quitting (as in closing the main window UI) ?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Ruby I am quitting the app 100% I even check under the force close option to see if it was stuff running in case, and nothing to force close besides The Finder.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Are you certain that it's the App Store version that's currently installed? I know that the App Store sometimes thinks the website version I have here is the same, and will offer to update it even though it can't. We've definitely seen some other issues with the App Store updating its own apps as well. If you drag it to the Trash and restart, are you able to install 7.0.7 then?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@brenty yes I am. I installed it on his computer myself. It’s the Mac App Store app that’s also showing he has an update and it won’t let me update it. I tried to restart the computer also after I thought I uninstalled it, Android ir would pop back up. Are those the right and current instructions to uninstall 1Password 7?

On apps from the Mac App Store I should be able to hold down an app, they all shake with an “x” on them, and I can delete them. I also did the instructions I posted above as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@prime: It does look like we need to update that article for version 7:

//v7 data lives here
    ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits

//v7 extension helper's container
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper

//v7 main app's container
    ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword7

However, I don't believe it should be necessary to remove everything relating to 1Password. And if it's a problem with the App Store itself (which seems likely, and I've also experienced similar issues) it probably wouldn't help anyway. It sounds like you're saying that you dragged it to the Trash but it appeared in /Applications again. Is that right?

ref: web/support.1password.com#1406

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty I tried dragging to the trash and just delete it since it’s a Mac app site app. I have a feeling it’s an App Store issue, so I’ll try other ideas when I see him again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Thanks for letting me know. Keep me posted. We used to see a lot more issues like that years ago, not so much recently, with the App Store both on macOS and iOS. Hopefully it's a temporary thing, but I did want to see if there's a way for you to work around it in the mean time. Out of curiosity, is automatic updates for App Store apps on or off? I was assuming automatic, but I realize that may not be the case.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

@prime: For updates you can only "completely quit" 1Password by the menu bar icon. Once it's open click on that icon and at the top right of that window there is a faint gear icon. Click on that and there is the option to completely quit. This has to be done or the update cannot be installed. Force quitting or anything else won't work.

This confused several of us previously and really is kinda awkward to do. Hopefully something more intuitive can be implemented.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, holding Option and Control when using the menu works, or pressing Option Control Command Q.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@pappjo thanks, next time I see him I will try this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@pappjo

@prime: For updates you can only "completely quit" 1Password by the menu bar icon. Once it's open click on that icon and at the top right of that window there is a faint gear icon. Click on that and there is the option to completely quit. This has to be done or the update cannot be installed. Force quitting or anything else won't work.

This confused several of us previously and really is kinda awkward to do. Hopefully something more intuitive can be implemented.

I am still dealing with this. I don’t see a faint hear icon. Is it in 1Password itself?

Edit: I used @brenty suggestion and it worked.

I just now had time to deal with this.

Thanks all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear all is well now. :chuffed:

• Merlady
    Merlady
    Community Member

Wow! Stephen_C. I had this problem and thought I tried everything until I searched the forum and found your solution. BAM! Problem solved, update installed. Thanks!

• redprint
    redprint
    Community Member

The App Store shows an update to iPassword. I click on update, it then says it needs to quit iPassword in which isn't running at all. Then just keeps saying it and not installing the update. So in essence, it won't update the program. Brand new iMac doesn't even have any software on it yet.

1Password Version: 7.07
    OS Version: 10.13.6
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:Update to iPassword will not install on Mac OS 10.13.6. Trying to quit application that isn't running.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The problem is that quitting 1PW itself keeps 1PW Mini running.

You need to quit 1PW Completely, which can be done with Ctrl-Option-Cmd Q ig 1PW is running, or using the gearwheel at top right of window when you open the menu bar 1PW icon.

• Thanks for the update @Merlady. This will also be required for the v7.2 update, but should not be necessary post-7.2.

Ben

• slb3103
    slb3103
    Community Member

The message from the Mac update application is: "1Password 7" cannot be open during the installation. Click continue to quit "1Password 7" and begin the updated. The application will open when the update is complete."
    However, I can't get this to happen. I've tried Command-option-Q and Command-option-delete-Q to try and cause 1Password to quit, but it doesn't work. What do you recommend that I do?
    Thanks, Sherrod

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Can't update 1Password 7 on MacOS 10.13.6 on my MacBook Pro 2017 13". Says 1Password 7 must be quit

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I believe the keypress is Command-option-control-Q

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty my father in law got another update again and we had to use this to get it to update. Why is this happening? We never had to do this before.

• @prime,

Because there is only one GUI application now, it transitions between showing its icon in the dock and not. Part of this is that it traps the quit message and only actually quits under certain scenarios rather than in response to all quit messages. This is because many people still want the mini UI and to be able to use the web browser interface without running the full main window.

This will cease happening when updating from 7.2 to whatever the next version ends up being.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@ruby thanks for the info!

• Donaldd
    Donaldd
    Community Member

Click the 1Password icon on the menu bar - click the gear icon - click "Quit 1Password Completely".

:)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Need to hold down Control and Option to get "Quit 1Password" to change to "Quit 1Password Completely" though. I find it's easier to just open 1Password and press Control Option Command Q and skip the menu altogether. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.