Bug report: importing from a 1pif folder, then moving or deleting the folder, loses imported items

bkendig
bkendig
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Mac

Importing a vault into 1Password 7 from a 1pif folder (that was created by an export from 1Password 6), then moving or deleting the folder, will lose the imported items.

Here's how I'm able to consistently reproduce the problem:

1. Export your 1Password vault to a 1pif folder.
  2. Reset 1Password (Help -> Troubleshooting -> Reset All 1Password Data).
  3. File -> Import -> Other -> Import a 1PIF File. Primary vault. Select the 1pif directory that you had exported.

Your vault entries now appear in 1Password.

1. Move the exported 1PIF directory someplace else (any other folder or the Trash).
  2. Log out of macOS and back in again (or reboot).
  3. Reopen 1Password.

Your vault is now empty again.

1. Quit 1Password.
  2. Move the 1PIF directory back to the place where you had originally created it.
  3. Reopen 1Password.

Your vault entries have returned.

This bug means that you need to keep your unencrypted export file around; you can't delete it, or you'll lose all the entries you had imported from it.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bkendig
    bkendig
    Community Member

I played with this further. I reset 1Password, then I deleted Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper and Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C* and then I re-imported the 1pif directory. Then, for good measure, I exported it as a new backup.

Now things seem to be working. I moved the original 1pif export and my new export elsewhere, then I rebooted, and 1Password appears to be keeping the entries in my vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@bkendig - thanks for reporting! I can confirm what you've observed and have reported it internally as a bug. Interestingly, doing a little further investigation on my own, what I discovered is that if instead of logging out or restarting, you simply Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), the result is the same upon re-opening 1Password 7 for Mac: all items missing. However, if you then LOCK 1Password using ^⌥⌘\L (command + option + control + L), and re-unlock using your Master Password, the data will have returned, regardless of what is done with the .1pif file.

This tells me two things: first, that the data was never really absent; making a backup will show the number of items in the 1Password database, and second, that the issue appears to be one of display "staling" (not showing what is actually present). In other words: there's no data loss here, and the 1pif file does not, in fact, required to be kept on the desktop (risky, as it's unencrypted). What we have appears to be a display-refresh issue. Still a high-priority fix, but not one that risks losing or damaging your data. Thanks again for reporting! :)

ref: apple-1795

• bkendig
    bkendig
    Community Member

I'm glad my bug report helped you! :smile:

I was completely unaware of the option to "completely" quit 1Password, or of what that would do. I see that "completely" quitting will also kill the menu bar item, which presumably is necessary for completely releasing 1Password's hold on its vault. I'd like to suggest that there may be more obvious ways of handling this - perhaps in the 1PW window that opens from clicking the menu bar item, change "Quit 1Password Completely" to "Quit 1Password Menu Extension" in the gear menu, and also put that menu item somewhere in the 1Password app menus as well. Just my two cents!

• Thanks for the feedback, @bkendig.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.