A slight irritation with editing a login from the extension

Babbling
Babbling
Community Member

I'll try to explain this the best I can....

1) I log in to a website using 1Password extension (I'm on Chrome).

2) But when I do that, I notice that another log-in associated with that website needs to be corrected.

3) If I open the extension, the log in that I've last used is highlighted.

4) But if I want to edit another login, I must highlight it first by clicking it--however, this activates the second login.

5) That is, when I hover over a non-highlighted login, the "Fill" and ">" options come up. But when I move my mouse across to access the ">" option (to open it and edit it), I can't--it disappears as I move off the name of that login.

I know it's not a big deal, but it's obviously set up so that I can edit a login from the extension. But it's not working as well as it could.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Babbling - how are you invoking the 1Password mini? Clicking 1Password in your browser? In your Mac's menubar? Via keystroke?

• Babbling
    Babbling
    Community Member

Thanks to your questions, I've found a reproducible quirk. I'm using 1Password in my browser (what I think used to be called the extension but I think it's now the 1Password mini--a floating window) but it's exactly the same whether I access it from my browser or the Mac menu bar. If I have multiple logins, I open a page using one of them. Then if I want to edit a different login, and I hover over the different login, the "Fill" & ">" options appear as long as my mouse is far enough to the left--if I move my mouse past that point, they disappear.
    I then experimented with making the 1Password mini smaller by dragging in the right margin--then the "Fill" & ">" don't disappear and are accessible. However, (the reproducible quirk) when I make the right margin big again, they remain accessible even when I go back to the original size or even bigger.
    There seems to be a related issue where a similar thing happens re Identities and Credit Cards as well--the first identity (only the identity list) works fine, but all others have the same characteristic--the "Fill" & ">" options disappear when I move my mouse to the right.

• Babbling
    Babbling
    Community Member

Correction in my last paragraph: that only works when there is no login password for that opened webpage. If I am on a site with a recognised login then all of the identities show the same characteristic.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Babbling

I'm using 1Password in my browser (what I think used to be called the extension but I think it's now the 1Password mini--a floating window)

It's actually always been the mini - at least since version 4. The browser extension (that's actually inside your browser(s), not in your Mac's menubar) is mostly just a conduit between the mini and your browser, which allows us to fill and save. If you click the browser extension, what you're seeing pop up is actually the mini.

Then if I want to edit a different login, and I hover over the different login, the "Fill" & ">" options appear as long as my mouse is far enough to the left--if I move my mouse past that point, they disappear.

I can't reproduce this, if I'm understanding you correctly. What browser are you using when you're doing this, and what version of it?

• Babbling
    Babbling
    Community Member

I'm using Chrome 67.0.3396.99 and Safari 11.1.1 (13605.2.8). They both do the same thing.

Interesting that you can't reproduce it...I'm not sure what is unique about my set up.

Thanks for looking into this for me!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Babbling - it's possible I'm misunderstanding what you're describing; would you be able to take a brief screen-video to demonstrate the problem? You can upload it to any file service such as Dropbox that you use, and post a link here (make sure you don't have any personally-identifying information in the video if you're posting the link here publicly).

• Babbling
    Babbling
    Community Member

Unfortunately, I can't show the mouse icon in a screen shot. But Screen Shot 1 is with the mouse hovering over "Peter" line with the mouse near the words "Peter". Shot 2 is where I've moved the mouse to the right but on the same line.

Like I said earlier there is a strange glitch with it. If I resize the 1Password mini, it will then work properly. And it even works if I close (esc) and then open it again. But then soon after it stops working properly and reverts back to the behaviour I'm describing above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4u6o001dbhae4bp/Screen shots.zip?dl=0

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@Babbling - actually, I was just able to reproduce that now, using a different site. I'm not sure why I wasn't seeing it previously. For the moment, I'd recommend using keyboard-arrow navigation; if you arrow-down to the selection you want and then over, you'll open the detail view and regain the ability to edit the item. If anything, this may actually be faster for you than using the mouse, depending on what you're used to. I've filed this as a bug internally, but no idea on when a solution might be forthcoming. Thanks for reporting!

ref: apple-1808

• Babbling
    Babbling
    Community Member

Thanks Lars! Always good when a glitch can be reproduced (it's not just me...I'm not going crazy!).

And I didn't know about the arrows option--that works for now.

Once again, you guys have top class support--really appreciate it.

Peter

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the kind words, and for reporting this in the first place. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.