New Mac user with passwords needing to import

Hi,

I am a new user and I do not see a tool like dashlane has, meaning that once you install the extension in your browser it asks you if you want to harvest any saved passwords and import them or move them into the vault.

Is this possible with 1Password?

I am using Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Opera on this one Mac and I have the plug in installed on every browser.

On the mac you do not make it easy to get the version for this posting, do you hate mac users?

Thanks,
Joe

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@1SmokeyJoe: We definitely don't "hate mac users". :lol: We don't harvest user data, but we offer a number of of ways to import data into 1Password, depending on what you have to work with:

Move your data from other applications to 1Password

What format is it in?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@1SmokeyJoe ,

Each of those browsers stores their password data in a different location:

• Chrome stores login and form fill data in its own private location, per profile
    • Safari stores login form fill data in either the local or iCloud keychain
    • Firefox stores login form fill data in its own private location
    • I have not explored where Opera stores its data

The converter suite has a native chrome converter, and a keychain converter. Those might be helpful to you. You can use the package in Stable Bits, mentioned in the first post. Just follow the directions.

However, since you are on an older macOS, please also download the updated Keychain.pm file in Testing Bits, and replace the Converters/Keychain.pm file in the unzipped package.

I don't yet have a Firefox converter; there are Firefox add-ons that will allow you to export your login data as CSV, and from there you can either use 1Password's native CSV importer, or the csv converter from the converter suite.

• 1SmokeyJoe
    1SmokeyJoe
    Community Member

Well it looks like I need to install Dashlane, import all my data and export that so 1Password can import them

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@1SmokeyJoe ,

Please beware of the Dashlane export caveats I posted here.

• 1SmokeyJoe
    1SmokeyJoe
    Community Member

is there something better that works well?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@1SmokeyJoe,

My comment above was just an FYI - so that you were aware of any possible issue that might arise due to the Dashlane export weaknesses. Try your method, to see if it works for you.

I presume your login data is only in browsers. I don't know the import capabilities of all the other password managers. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

The 1Password Dashlane import requires a 1Password.com account I believe. It handles Logins only.

• 1SmokeyJoe
    1SmokeyJoe
    Community Member

so dashlane lets you pull your username and password from web sites but not export it so you can move to a different password manager?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@1SmokeyJoe ,

If you can get it into Dashlane, I presume it should export as CSV (albeit, possibly broken CSV, but you can massage it if necessary) to get it into 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.