1password junk files?

ashleyk
ashleyk
Community Member

I just installed an app from the App Store called Dr Cleaner and a scan of my computer revealed a folder called onepassword-osx-helper that weighs in at 157.4mb. According to Dr Cleaner, this is junk leftovers from an uninstalled app that can be removed. Can anybody shed any light on this? There is also a smaller folder called onepassword-osx.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ashleyk - we recommend against using any type of "cleaner" or "uninstaller" apps for 1Password, as these can often remove more data than we (and you) want them to. Are you still using 1Password? If not, then feel free to delete anything associated with it, especially if you don't plan to reinstall and resume using 1Password .

However, if you are using 1Password and if you've got plenty of hard drive space (as most of us do, in this age of multi-terabyte hard drives), I recommend you not remove any such files. If you're really pressed for space due to a small SSD or similar, and you want to remove the folder, can you give me the exact, full file-path? Thanks.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

@Lars Yes I am very much still using 1Password. The supposed "Uninstalled Application Leftovers" are in my User Library under Containers. I wondered if this might be an unneeded leftover after switching from the App Store version to download from Agile.

The big one at 157mb is as called 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper and the small one is called com.agilebits.onepassword-osx. Inside that folder there is a file called Container.plist and a folder called Data. The Data folder contains a bunch of folders, some of which are aliases pointing to places like desktop, downloads and movies etc. I'm guessing this should all just be left alone, but perhaps send an email to the the developers of Dr Cleaner if deleting these items might cause problems.

Drive space is no particular problem and I have around 130 gigs of free space on a 256gig startup SSD.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ashleyk - definitely leave those items alone. They're integral parts of your existing 1Password setup. They wouldn't be, if you'd moved on to 1Password 7 for Mac (which is part of what/why I was asking), but yeah -- you see why we recommend against the use of cleaner apps. It's relatively simple to code a function that looks for associated files on a user's hard drive; much harder to make sure the function you've coded doesn't accidentally remove critical files/folders. And placing this indiscriminate power in the hands of most (though definitely not all) users is a recipe for disaster. Thanks for being on the cautious side. :)

This discussion has been closed.