Security patches for 6.8.8

spamderk
spamderk
Community Member

Hi all,
I am on version 6.8.8 on a Mac. I don't really see the need to upgrade to version 7. I am happy with the product, I paid a fair amount some time ago and it is running fine.
However I am a bit scared that there won't be any security patches for v.6.8.8. What happens in case of security breaches or vulnerabilities? Will I be on my own? I understand there won't be any new features but I definitely hope you care about your customers in that case and provide updates?
Greetings from Europe!

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @spamderk,

We will provide security updates for 1Password 6 for Mac. I don’t know how long that will continue, and I’d guess it’ll be more of an evaluation of what security threats come up vs a definite timeline. That said, our recommendation would always be to use the latest versions of your OS, web browser, and 1Password.

Ben

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member

Why did you make a decision that it was time to ask people to pay for licenses again? I just want to understand it from the business point of view. Aren't you concerned you may lose customers or is this a common practice in the industry?

• @goldfilm

It is common practice in the software industry to charge for upgrades, yes. We've put a huge amount of work into 1Password 7, and so it only made sense to charge for it. :)

Ben

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member

Would you mind comparing 1P7 standalone vs subscription-based, and 1P7 against Dashlane or LastPass? Thanks.

• We don’t have a comparison to share between us and our competators. The whole “grid of which solution checks which boxes” presentations you’ll find around the internet tend to be very biased. I’d suggest signing up for a trial 1Password membership (30 days) and seeing for yourself. :) As for a comparison between standalone and membership we have a guide that may help here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Ben

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben, sorry for the back and forth. I really like 1P and I purchased both Mac & iOS apps around three years ago. Now that I have to pay again I just want to be informed and take a look at the other software available. All I know is that I'll need two accounts that can be used in both Mac & iOS, and that 1P is my standard of quality and functionality.

• Thanks for the kind words. With 1Password membership everything is included — no need to purchase the apps separately. Licensing is more “a la carte.”

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

With 1PW if you forget your Master Password you lose access to all your passwords. AgileBits cannot reset your account.

With some of the other password managers the company can reset the account, so losing the master password is not a complete disaster. That's convenient but at the same time it is a significant security risk (bad guys might be able to take over your account, governments could demand to see your account, etc)

It's your choice what risks are acceptable and which aren't. I'm happier knowing I must take care of my master password, but I see frequent calls for help from people who can't recall theirs, and it is saddening to have to tell them that nothing can be done.

There are probably other areas where password managers differ significantly but I am not familiar with them.

• Thanks for chiming in danco. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.