1Password extension always asks to be installed MacOS Mojave PB2

2»

Comments

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

Hi, I can confirm that the issue still exists on the stable build of Mojave. One work around I found was to disable the extension in Firefox and enable it again and it allows me to signs in. Let me know if you need more information for troubleshooting.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spearson: I'm not seeing that at all on Mojave. Have you tried reinstalling Firefox and the extension?

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@brenty, I did so and will monitor it and report back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. We're here if you need us. :)

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@brenty, looks like the issue is back.
    I could try uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password to see if that addresses the issue but will wait for your response?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@spearson - I'm sorry to hear it. At this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on with your 1Password setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#RZF-76687-749]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @spearson only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: RZF-76687-749

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@Lars I sent the diagnostics email. on October 23. I tried to login to my bank website just now and got the same issue asking to install Firefox extension (I already have it installed). Just wanted to check in to see if you had a chance to read though the diagnostic info I sent. Thanks.

• kejadlen
    kejadlen
    Community Member

I'm getting this as well - willing to help out in any way I can to get this fixed!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kejadlen: Does disabling/enabling the extension or restarting the browser or Mac help?

• kejadlen
    kejadlen
    Community Member

I swear I tried all those previously without much luck, but restarting from updating to 10.14.1 seems to have fixed the issue!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kejadlen: Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that restarting did the trick. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spearson: Unfortunately we haven't been able to determine why this is happening just on your machine. I've asked some other colleagues to take a look as well though, so hopefully we'll be able to find the cause. Thanks for your patience.

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@brenty, It looks like the issue is back after removing Firefox and 1Password from my Mac. How to proceed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I really don't know. No one else is having this problem. It seems to be something specific to your setup, and you'll have better insight into that than we do. It's a needle in a haystack. What have you tried this time?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The only thing I can think of is something with how you're customizing Firefox after a clean install. You're not customizing 1Password, and what you can do with the OS itself is pretty limited (thought that's something to consider as well), so it seems like that's where you should focus -- especially if you're not having the same issue in other browsers, and others are not either, even in Firefox.

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

@brenty, I've deleted Firefox and 1Password completely according to Lars based on my bug report to you guys. I reinstalled both Firefox and 1Pasword which seemed to have fixed the issue for a short period and it just returned. I could try reinstalling the OS and keep my files and see if that might address it. I'll keep you posted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spearson: I really don't think reinstalling the OS should be necessary, but certainly it's possible that it's a deeper issue. Have you done an actual clean install of Firefox? I mean, clearing all of its support files and everything too? We always caution about using "cleaner" apps with 1Password, since that will often delete its data too. But in this case, it might be a good idea to use one of those with Firefox to make sure you can start over from a clean slate. That's worth doing before going straight to an OS reinstallation.

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@brenty, I know and see where you are coming from. It seems to be a communication issue between 1Password mini and Firefox as I can disable the 1Password extension and enable it and I'm able to use 1Password fine with Firefox until the issue returns. I used AppZapper to completely remove Firefox and the profiles folder. I did save my bookmarks. I followed the instructions in the email that you sent to me to remove 1Password. If you wish I can try using AppZapper to remove 1Password completely if you think that would solve it before before an OS reinstall.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spearson: I'd be more hesitant about doing that with 1Password since you've got important data there. It's not really a concern though if you have a 1Password.com membership and have all of your data in the account. Then it's easy to get back up and running just by signing in. And ultimately I think that would be looking in the wrong place. Something with Firefox's Native Messaging seems to break, but frankly we're not Firefox developers so we're not sure what might cause that. Starting out with a completely clean Firefox install, no extensions but 1Password, and seeing at which point it stops working as you slowly install extensions and change settings could help narrow down the cause though. I'm hesitant to suggest an OS reinstall because I have no reason to believe it would help at this point.

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@brenty, I agree with you as I don't currently have a 1Password.com membership but use Dropbox to store my data instead. I think you might be right that it's something to do with Firefox. What confuses me is that you said above that no one else is having this problem. When I reinstalled Firefox from scratch, clean install, I'm not using any third party extensions or themes, just the default setup.

I also posted this as a Firefox bug report 4 months ago. I updated it now with what you said above to see if they can find a solution. I guess I will keep you posted if I hear anything from Mozilla regarding the bug report I submitted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spearson: Yeah, it's definitely a very confusing issue. I'm not sure it would be a bug with Firefox though, as that would almost certainly affect others as well. So I do tend to think it is probably something specific to your setup. But you're right that shouldn't affect a fresh install then. But my understanding was that the problem was resolved by you doing that previously. If, with a clean install, you start seeing this behaviour again, generate a new diagnostics report and send it using the same Support ID. The last one I saw definitely wasn't a clean install. I admit I don't have high hopes at this point, but I'll be happy to take a look and see if it yields some insight.

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@brenty, Ok, I just sent the diagnostic report and included the Support ID in the subject line. I hope this provides more info into the issue I'm having. Right now, 1Password Mini isn't asking to install Firefox extension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If it's working as expected now I'm not sure that could yield any insight into when it's not working.

This discussion has been closed.