Will 1Pv6 be discontinued?

goldfilm
goldfilm
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Mac

I just learned about 1Pv7 and downloaded it thinking it was a free upgrade. I purchased 1P for Mac a long time ago for me and my wife, and I also purchased the iOS version. I don't want to pay a monthly membership. Will 1Pv6 and the iOS version continued to be supported with new updates or those not jumping on the v7 boat will end up running obsolete software?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@goldfilm AgileBits has made it clear that 1Password 6 will no longer be developed although some security updates will be provided.

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You can buy a licence for 1PW7 within the program if you prefer that to the subscription.

On the initial screen of 1PW7 there is a big green button saying Subscribe Now. However, below that in small type is the message "Want a licence. We have those too." Click on that and you will get the option for a licence.

But there are quite a few advantages to the subscription, see https://support.1password.com/why-account/

• Thanks for jumping in here @Stephen_C and @danco. @goldfilm if you have further questions please let us know.

Ben

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member

Hey Ben, would you please help me understand what is it stored on your servers and what is it stored locally? Thanks

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

@goldfilm

All 1Password data is encrypted locally and cached and then stored on 1Password.com. The encrypted data stored on 1Password.com is considered the “source of truth.” You can read more about that process here:

About the 1Password security model

The white paper linked at the bottom of that page goes into great detail.

Encrypted backups are also stored both locally and on 1Password.com. Preferences such as when the app locks, whether to use Touch ID or not, sort order, etc are stored on the local device only.

Note that this applies to membership only. With standalone licensing and vaults nothing is stored on 1Password.com.

Ben

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member

Thanks a lot.

• You’re very welcome. :)

Ben

• goldfilm
    goldfilm
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I've started the 30-day trial for the v7, any chance I can turn the trial into a family account, or do I have to sign up separately?

EDIT: nevermind. I've upgraded the account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

Yep! It's pretty easy to change account types through the website ("Invite People" on the right on the home screen), but we're also here if you have any other questions about 1Password Families. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.