Confusion over update to 1password 7 and also "my.1password.com" login

funkster
funkster
Community Member

I am feeling near totally confused by re-working of 1Password 6 to 7 and am pretty disappointed and alarmed by this. My problems appear multiple:

1. I updated 1P6 to 7 to and after some worrying moments managed to convert my previous v6 sync file to the opvault format in Dropbox, and appear to have a correctly working 1P7 main application with all my data. However, I am completely befuddled by the browser extension (Chrome) . I downloaded this with Install Browser Extension button, but all I see now when I click the key-button on Chrome is a sort-of scaled-down version of the main application-window. I have to first select Passwords, then do a search to find the right password for login, it doesn't happen automatically, then I have to select the right one, then click fill. Is this correct? Pretty big change, and some warning might have been given about this, or maybe I just haven't go it configured right yet? I haven't tried any other functionality yet, such as saving passwords via Extension.

2. Prior to being advised of the update to 7 , I already established an account on the 1 password site (my.1password.com) and on that day saw all my details pretty much as on the main app. However a few days later, I am now told my master password is incorrect. Isn't this supposed to be the "master password" I use to open the main app with? If so it is correct, but please advise if I'm supposed to have a different one. I could request a password change, but don't want to add even more confusion right now, if that is going to affect my main app login. I do have the long code number, partially shown at login.

Is it correct I am supposed to have a different log-in for this support forum too? I tried what I think is the "master' one and again was told it was incorrect, but luckily found an old support one I had used a few years ago.

1Password Version: 7.07
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@funkster - I'm sorry for the trouble and confusion! 1Password 7 for Mac was indeed a full upgrade instead of just an iterative update, and although we tried to make it as smooth as possible for users, no "dot-oh" upgrade is ever going to be without the occasional hitch.

...all I see now when I click the key-button on Chrome is a sort-of scaled-down version of the main application-window.

This is in fact the new mini/browser extension window. Saving should work as it always has, essentially. Filling via the mini shouldn't require you to search in the Passwords category, unless you're not on a particular login page already. if you're starting from, say, a blank page, then yes -- you'd need to search because 1Password doesn't know what site you'd like to open/fill. That's the same as it's always been. But if you visit, say, https://twitter.com/login and then click the 1Password extension in Chrome, if you have only a single login for Twitter saved in 11Password, it should fill automatically. If you have more than one Twitter account, you'll be offered a choice of which one you'd like to fill. This, too, is approximately the same behavior as in the previous 1Password 6 for Mac.

When you created your 1password.com account, you would've been asked to choose a Master Password. Did you use the same one you were already using in your standalone 1Password setup? Or did you create a new Master Password? The two CAN be the same, but they don't have to be. If you visit https://my.1password.com, are you able to sign in? To be clear, you actually are NOT able to "request a password change; if you're unable to sign into your account in a browser at https://my.1password.com let me know. We'll go from there.

ref: XWT-56286-466

• funkster
    funkster
    Community Member

Thanks for reply, Lars, I spent much of yesterday trying to get to grips with 1Password 7, and cleared up some problems and unfamiliar things for myself, such as the new master password, which I had forgotten had created already when I previously acquired Watchtower.

However, there are some significant areas which I still am finding difficult to understand, and have not encountered before despite having used 1Password for years. Is there some sort of brief online-manual which would explain these things?

For example what are vaults, primary, personal etc. Should I be working with either one or the other.

Another thing that irks me a lot right now is that when I use the mini-extension with the log-in box of a site, I am very often seeing a long list of possible passwords, the top ones being presumably the most recent versions, with perhaps a dozen or more that are "related". This seems to me far more than what was displayed in 1Password 6. Is there any way to easily delete what seem like duplications, or perhaps previous "mistakes" where only the password was saved and not username.

Regarding the online and offline versions of 1Password, is there any actual benefit to me using the online one, apart from when I might not have my own computer at hand.

regards

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@funkster - I see you've also been asking many of the same questions of our email support staff and my colleague David has been assisting you. This is partially my fault -- I should've checked before I began going through this with you. However, when we have to stop and coordinate multiple replies to similar questions amongst multiple team members here over multiple points of contact (forums, email, Twitter, etc), it causes increased confusion and slows support times for everyone, including you. Let's keep the conversation going via email if that's all right with you.

To (briefly) address one of your points regarding an online manual: https://support.1password.com is a fantastic resource for learning about how 1Password works. The search feature there is very accurate. Often you can type in just two or three words about what you're looking for/wondering about, and you'll get a how-to, often with video!

• funkster
    funkster
    Community Member

Ok sorry about that Lars, I felt I ought to respond to both, also because I wan't keen to mention, in the forum, the phishing incident which has seriously worried me, and has made me spend a lot of time on this matter in the last few days. Plus the site said forum would be quicker in response which is why I did that, and then subsequently I did get a reply by email.

Other than that, hope I can still get some information about the vaults and the duplication/ deletion etc of log-ins. Many thanks for your great help so far.

• On behalf of Lars no worries and you’re welcome. Let’s continue the conversation by email. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.