Bought 1Password in App store. Upgrade to 7 on my MacBook not working. No acct detail or setup code.

Dfarrugia23
Dfarrugia23
Community Member

I purchased 1Password in the Apple App store some time ago. A few weeks ago, I decided to upgrade to 1Password 7 on my MacBook and now I cannot use 1Password. It prompts me to to let 1Password find out account details by signing in, but I was never given any. I do not have a security key or master password; and was never provided a setup code. What must I do now to again use 1Password on my MacBook as now I cannot use it at all?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS High Sierra 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Bought 1Password in App store. Upgrade to 7 on my MacBook not working. No acct detail or setup code.

Comments

• @Dfarrugia23,

1Password 7 is not a free upgrade for 1Password 6. Additionally 1Password 7 in the Mac App Store only works as a subscription product so if you wanted to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 you would need to switch over to the version from https://1password.com/downloads. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Dfarrugia23
    Dfarrugia23
    Community Member

Thank you for your message. This would have been good to know before installing the update. What can I do to get rid of 7 and go back to 6? Thank you for your support.

• I'd be happy to help with that. Instructions on reverting to 1Password 6 can be found here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/448918/#Comment_448918

This would have been good to know before installing the update.

How did you find out about 1Password 7? The announcement of the release which includes pricing information can be found here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever - AgileBits Blog

Ben

• secured
    secured
    Community Member

My app was updated to version 7 via the Apple App Store. Was version 6 a subscription model? If so, then I should have a subscription but cannot find it.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

1PW6 could be either licence or subscription . Same holds for 1PW7 direct from AgileBits. But, for reasons connected to the the App Store works, 1PW7 from the App Store is subscription only.

You should be able to go back to 1PW6 if you want to,but it is more secure to pay for an upgrade. I favour the subscription myself, see https://support.1password.com/why-account/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @secured! I'm sorry for the trouble. If you have a 1password.com membership and your copy of 1Password 6 for Mac was from the Mac App Store, then you would've been prompted to upgrade to the new version (version 7), since it's a free upgrade for you, include in the cost of your membership. If you were using 1Password 6 for Mac in standalone mode (not syncing or using one of our advanced, 3rd-party sync methods like iCloud or Dropbox), then you would not have received an in-app notice to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac yet. What's the situation currently? Are you able to access your data? How were you syncing previously?

• secured
    secured
    Community Member

I have been syncing via iCloud across several devices. I don’t recall if I updated via a prompted upgrade. I am confused about how to tell what plan I am on actually.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@secured - thanks for the additional information. It sounds like you may have noticed 1Password 7 for Mac in the Mac App Store and chosen to upgrade on your own, since (if you were a standalone/iCloud user) we would not have given you an upgrade notice. That's OK, we can get you sorted either way. If you would like to continue using 1Password 7 for Mac and syncing via iCloud, you'll need to download our version (instead of the Mac App Store version) and purchase a new license (currently $49.99 during launch special pricing, but will be $64.99 regularly). If you'd prefer to continue using version 6, you'd need to remove 1Password 7 for Mac and re-installing the previous version from the Purchased section of the Mac App Store. Do you know which way you'd like to go?

• secured
    secured
    Community Member

To confirm, version 7 will not work as a "standalone/iCloud" use, correct?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2018

With a license it can/will, yes.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.