New MacBooks

This discussion was created from comments split from: BGR: "[...] acquisition talks underway" [Acquisition rumours false].

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@wkleem I am on an El Capitan based Mac. The new MacBooks Pros thay were launched today, very tempting!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Prime, I noticed that for the 2018 MacBook Pros, only the Touch Bar models are getting all the upgrades while the non Touch Bar models aren’t.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@wkleem I saw. I’m ok with the touch bar, my mom wouldn’t. Her iMac just took a dump the other day and she needs a new one. I’m going to let her my Mac mini until the non touch bars are updated (I hope). A part of me thinks they will drop them when new MacBooks come out.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

The MacBook Airs (Broadwell) are still with MagSafe power adapters. No word yet on new models and MacMini (2014) are 4 years old.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Excited about the new Macs myself. I'll be looking at reviews to see if there's one in the cards for me in a few months. :)

Also, I do love me some AC. Especially this time of year. :sunglasses:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

I was also pretty excited about the new MacBooks, but as CNet writes, they still have the keyboard problems: https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-says-new-macbook-pro-keyboard-wont-fix-sticky-key-issue/

And I honestly don't know if I want to buy a 2500$ notebook that gets broken keys by a bit of dust. It's not like I'm working in a clean room (ok I clean my room but you know what I mean) :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: You scared me there, but "may still be a possiblity" [sic] doesn't seem definitive to me. ;) I'm willing to wait it out and see if the 3rd generation is improved, if the replacements they're doing resolve the issue, or both/neither. :)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@brenty yes, I will also wait for some tests of those early adopters. I guess they will find out pretty quickly if dust is still a problem. And if the repairs are fixing the issue :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I guess they will find out pretty quickly if dust is still a problem.

I think you may be right. Early adopters are either pioneers or guinea pigs, depending on how things play out. :lol: :+1:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Isn't the Touch Bar great for 1Password? (Touch ID!)

I really hope Apple releases new iMacs with Touch ID in the keyboard or FaceID in the bezel of the screen this year...

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

The Touch Bar is separate from Touch ID although I cannot recollect, now that the Touch Bar is here, if there is a Touch ID only MacBook Pro. There should be one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@XIII: Touch ID (or Face ID) across the whole Mac line would be sweet. :sunglasses:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Touch ID and Touch Bar are a package deal. Can't get one without the other — which I suspect makes sense from a cost perspective: if you include just one, you still need the integrated ARM SOC; might as we'll include both features. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. None for me then. The prices are just too high and Apple has dropped the 2015 models.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Fair enough. :)

This discussion has been closed.