iCloud Sync deliberately broken / made slow?

steven1
steven1
Community Member

OK, so I asked https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/93065/items-disappearing-after-update-to-mas-7-0-7 about what seemed to me at the time that items were disappearing from my vault.

It appears this is more than that...It appears iCloud sync, or rather perhaps UI/DB refresh, is now broken.

Mac1: Add item to iCloud sync'd vault
Mac2: New item does now show until I lock and unlock the DB. In fact, it may first show fewer items than even I started with. If I lock and unlock the app, items are in sync again.

This was working flawlessly in 1P6! While I totally understand the subscription model and pushing users towards it (I actually subscribe, but have a hybrid iCloud / membership sync model), breaking it like this poor showing.

Can AB please advise?

1Password Version: 7.0.7 [MAS]
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@steven1 Your hybrid iCloud/subscription sync model is the problem. The iCloud vault[s] don't sync with the 1Password subscription vault[s] at all. You will probably experience continued difficulties as long as you maintain the hybrid model. hth

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vplewis: I wonder if that's a red herring.

@steven1: We definitely haven't changed anything with regard to iCloud in version 7. It's the same code for that as we introduced in version 6. Just to clarify, are you talking about only the iCloud vault? If so, it's possible that there's a problem in iCloud itself. You could easily disable sync, reset the data there (Help > Tools), reset the app on the device that does not have the correct data, and then setup sync with iCloud again to get a clean database there.

I do agree that you'd be better off using the 1Password.com account for this purpose since it's just more seamless, but if I'm understanding your description I do think you can probably get iCloud working too.

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,
    It is just the iCloud vault that has this issue. Specifically, it started in v7.0.7 MAS. Hadn't noticed it before then.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@steven1: Thanks for confirming. Please try this:

1. Disable sync on all devices
    2. Reset the data in iCloud (Help > Tools)
    3. Reset the app on any device that does not have your complete 1Password data (in Primary, the vault formerly sync'd with iCloud)
    4. Setup sync with iCloud again for the Primary vault on your "main" 1Password device (the one with the data)
    5. Setup 1Password with iCloud on your other devices

If that doesn't resolve it, there's something much stranger going on with iCloud. Let me know either way.

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

Just an update. After trying all the steps above, the problem I mentioned in OP still persisted. I started going through the 1P logs myself to find an error when trying to sync the icon for my primary vault. I had changed the primary (iCloud sync'd) vault icon, and an error was causing the above behavior.

After deleting the custom icon, I am not seeing the above weirdness. Obviously a bug.

Hope this helps anyone else seeing something similar.

-Steven

• Thanks for the update @steven1. I’m glad to hear you were able to determine the cause here.

Ben

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben
    The bug behaves differently if setting up sync for the first time:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/457143/#Comment_457143

I found this out after deleting my installation and app and seeing the message described in the other post linekd above.

• Thanks for the additional information.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.