Tags autofill glitches?

SVanDee
SVanDee
Community Member

Tags autofill does some things that seem strange to me. Given that the following tag is already defined:
Tag/Subtag
When I've entered "T", 1P suggests:
T_"ag/Subtag"
where _ indicates the cursor position and the part in quotes is a suggestion; i.e. has a blue background. That's good.
But then if I enter "/", 1P autofills the entire tag:
Tag/Subtag/_
I guess 1P thinks I want to add a new subtag to Tag/Subtag but if what I wanted to do was create the new tag, "Tag/xxx", I have to delete "Subtag/" manually first.

If I do delete back to:
Tag/_
and then enter "T", 1P autofills:
Tag/Tag/Subtag_
I don't know why it thinks I might want to insert the entire tag again.

On the other hand, if I've deleted back to:
Tag/_
and enter "S", 1P does NOT suggest "Subtag". I don't know why it doesn't suggest "Subtag" as it did when I was entering the tag at first.

If I've entered "Tag/Subtag" and moved the cursor before the "/":
Tag_/Subtag
and then enter any character, "x" for example, 1P suggests:
Tagx_"/Subtag"/Subtag
I don't know why 1P thinks I might want to insert "/Subtag" at the cursor position.

I haven't tried to document a lot of other things that seem odd or at least inconsistent. I think I'd be happy if:
1) 1P always suggested based on what's been entered regardless of how it got there. That is "Tag/S" should suggest "ubtag" regardless of whether I just entered "Tag/S" or got there by editing the string.
2) 1P always suggested from the cursor to the end of the tag. I can't think why I'd ever want it to suggest inserting something in the middle of a tag as in the last example above.
2) 1P did not autofill anything until I press right arrow to go to the end, in which case 1P could add "/", or Return to complete the edit.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Doesn't matter for this post
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1P.com
Referrer: forum-search:Tags autofill glitches?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SVanDee - thanks for the thorough description, and I'm sorry for the trouble. There are indeed a few kinks we're in the process of working through with the Tags implementation currently, so you're not wrong (nor is this something specific to your own setup). I'll add this to the stack of data we've already got that may help our devs squish out some of these bugs and further refine the system. In the meantime, please bear with us as we work towards a permanent fix, and thanks again for reporting.

This discussion has been closed.