1Password 7 auto updated, not working

mlclapp
mlclapp
Community Member

I have a license for version 6, didn't know anything about 7 being a brand new purchase and my account was auto updated and now will not work. How can I fix this and turn off auto updating so that it doesn't happen again? Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mlclapp - sorry for the confusion/trouble! I don't know what might have happened in your case specifically from just your description. I'm puzzled because there are no versions of 1Password 6 for Mac that will auto-update to 1Password 7 for Mac without explicit interaction/consent from the user. The reason for this is that unless the user purchased 1Password 6 for Mac on or after March 27 of this year, version 7 is a paid upgrade for everyone - either via a new purchase of a standalone license, or a 1password.com membership.

Do you have a 1password.com membership? If so, then 1Password 7 for Mac is included in your membership, at no extra charge. If you're using a standalone version of 1Password 6 for Mac, then yes, you'll need to purchase a new license to use version 7. What I'm most concerned about in your post is "...now will not work." Are you able to access your 1Password data currently? If not, can you describe in a little more detail what's not happening?

• mlclapp
    mlclapp
    Community Member

@Lars I bought 1password 4 and have upgraded with each update. Currently on version 6 on both Macbook pro and iMac. The iMac keeps auto upgrading to 7, this was the 2nd time. Once its upgraded it will not work, asking for log in/License info that I do not have.

I reverted once before but couldn't remember the process. I found a comment in the forums from user Stephen_C about the 1Password6.zip file and restored from that. I have also unchecked the auto update feature in hopes that it will not upgrade again.

Hopefully this will take care of it, thanks.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlclapp, I see you are still running 6.8.2. If you are set on staying with 1Password 6, we recommend that you update to the latest version to have the latest security enhancements and bug fixes. You can download version 6.8.9 here to circumvent the auto-update mechanism.

• mlclapp
    mlclapp
    Community Member

@JadC Thanks!

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

No problem @mlclapp, please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

• mlclapp
    mlclapp
    Community Member

@JadC So this happened again. After an update or a reboot my iMac auto updated to ver. 7, so now I have to reinstall ver. 6 again. How can I keep this from happening?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mlclapp - sorry for the trouble! There are two "versions" of 1Password 6 for Mac -- the version from our own website, and the Mac App Store version. Because 1Password 7 for Mac is a completely new version from 6, the the only way you'd get auto-updating from 6 to 7 is if you have a 1password.com account. With a 1password.com membership, all updates to the 1Password apps for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android are included, so if 1Password detects a valid account signed in, we do auto-update you. Are you signed in using a 1password.com account? And if so, is there a reason you don't want 1Password 7 for Mac? If you're NOT signed into a 1password.com account and you're using only standalone, there should be no auto-update possible. Can you clarify?

• mlclapp
    mlclapp
    Community Member

Hi @Lars, I don't have an account, otherwise this would be a non issue. I purchased a license back at ver. 4 and have been using/updating since.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mlclapp -- thanks for the clarification. I'm glad you've enjoyed the two free upgrades to version 5 and version 6! Is your current version of 1Password 6 for Mac from the Mac App Store, or from us (AgileBits)? If you do a spotlight search on 1Password, how many applications with that name do you see on your hard drive?

• mlclapp
    mlclapp
    Community Member

@Lars Both 6 and 7 was showing up, I moved 7 to the trash (which I have done before), now only 6 is showing.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mlclapp -- OK, great. Did you remember to Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) before moving it to the trash?

• mlclapp
    mlclapp
    Community Member

@Lars Yes I did, I remembered seeing that in a post from @Stephen_C

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mlclapp -- OK, that's good. If you have only 1Password 6 for Mac running, you should not be prompted to update to 1Password 7 for Mac, and you definitely should not be auto-updated. Let us know how it goes! :)

This discussion has been closed.