Should the 1password icon show up on my tool bar?

mary59149
mary59149
Community Member

I downloaded 1password to my MacBook and got the starter kit. It is on my iPhone 5s also. Should I see the icon somewhere? How do I use 1password to change my password at Amazon?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mary59149, welcome to the forum! We are happy to help.

Yes, you should see the 1Password icon in your toolbar. If you downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store, you are good to go. If you downloaded 1Password from our website, open the installer from your Downloads folder and proceed with the installation.

Once you have 1Password installed, open it by proceeding to your Applications folder and double-clicking on the icon. On first startup, you will need to add your 1Password account. Instructions on how that are here.

Once you have added your account, you can proceed to adding a login item and changing the password. Instructions on how that are here.

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

• mary59149
    mary59149
    Community Member

Is was downloaded by Safari from "can.flashdld.tech". When I go to that site, my computer warns me that it might be a scamming site.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mary59149, that sounds like it may be a scam and is not affiliated with or known to AgileBits or 1Password. What steps have you taken up till now in the setup process (e.g. have you installed this downloaded file from "can.flashdld.tech", did you download 1Password from our website)? We want to ensure that your system and data has not been compromised.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Generally speaking, one should only download programs from the official sites, and this is especially important with security programs like 1PW. Even if another download site is not a scamming site, some of them install adware in addition to the wanted program.

For 1PW, apart from the App Store, you should download from agilebits.com or 1password.com (I understand that AgileBits is slowly changing its name from AgileBits to 1Password).

Just for safety if you haven't actually used 1PW yet, I would be inclined to delete it and all its related files, and then reinstall using a download from the correct site. It's a slightly different matter if you have already started using it (or have used it in the past).

Also it would do no harm torun Malwarebytes to check if the site has installed any unwanted items.

• And if you do download Malwarebytes to run a check be sure to download it from their official site:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Ben

• mary59149
    mary59149
    Community Member

OK, I see it in my toolbar now. Thank you.

• Excellent. :) Thanks for the update. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.