Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ObjectConsulting - :) :+1:

• DigitalOxygen.ca
    DigitalOxygen.ca
    Community Member
    Options

I am having this same issue and have tried everything in this thread to no avail (pop-up blocker, content blocker, refreshing page, restarting, etc). The interesting thing is NONE of the extensions on the site show an install button.

I'm on the official release of Mojave (non-beta). I see no Install option when viewing the Safari extensions page in Safari or Chrome (which might be by design).

Any other solutions that have worked for anyone else? I realize this is not an AgileBits issue but this is the best thread I could find on the topic.

• DigitalOxygen.ca
    DigitalOxygen.ca
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Side note, I found a direct link to the .safariextz file in another thread and downloaded it successfully but when I attempt to install I get this message...

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I think I got the Safari extension from https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

Did you click Visit Gallery? If so, what happened.

Due to changes made by Apple, in the latest Safari you can't install extensions from the developer's site, so AgileBits removed their link. Currently you can still install it from the Safari Extensions Gallery, but that is expected to vanish in the next month or so.

But ifyou are on 1PW 7.2.1 (not sure about earlier versions) there is an extension included in it, whicch is the new usage. It should be installed automatically, but you may need to enable it before it can be used.

But I didn't think there were any difficulties with the Chrome or Firefox extensions. Do they download ok? If so, try double-clicking them. It's a long time since I installed those, so I can't recall exactly what worked.

• DigitalOxygen.ca
    DigitalOxygen.ca
    Community Member
    Options

Visit Gallery just takes me to the same broken (for me) safari-extensions page. The Install link appears on another Mojave machine and others have it working so again it's not a Mojave issue specifically and I've even found threads of it happening on Sierra / High Sierra. Clearly not an Agile issue either.

I'm on 1Password 6.8.9 which also claims to have the extension as part of it, but clearly it's not working. I even tried re-installing 1P with no luck.

Hopefully someone else found a solution, if not I'll have to cross my fingers that Apple support will be able to fix it

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am having this same issue and have tried everything in this thread to no avail (pop-up blocker, content blocker, refreshing page, restarting, etc). The interesting thing is NONE of the extensions on the site show an install button.

@DigitalOxygen.ca: Others have found that content blockers caused issues with Apple's site, and disabling them allowed it to work properly.

I'm on 1Password 6.8.9 which also claims to have the extension as part of it, but clearly it's not working. I even tried re-installing 1P with no luck.

No, 1Password 6.8.9 definitely does not have a Safari App Extension built into it. Only version 7.2 or higher does.

• DigitalOxygen.ca
    DigitalOxygen.ca
    Community Member
    Options

Strange, swear I read something about that version having it built-in. Oh well.

I've tried everything related to the browser including and well beyond any kind of blocker (content, pop-up or otherwise) no dice.

Just finished wiping the whole machine and re-installing Mojave. Same issue. Also, for some weird reason this particular machine can't connect to the app store either, yet all my others can. Several calls in to Apple and resolution yet, as expected. I have 3 separate MacBooks in the house and none of them get the Install button for any Safari extension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, that's definitely troubling, if you can't even connect to the App Store. I can't even imagine what might cause that. Contacting Apple for guidance is a good idea. Please let us know how it goes!

• DigitalOxygen.ca
    DigitalOxygen.ca
    Community Member
    Options

Wow so here's the very weird final answer / fix.

In regards to the Safari extensions site it turns out that the site was detecting the user agent of my browser as an older version of Safari (pre- 9.0) and thus denying me the install link. I had not noticed the small text in the upper right earlier which said "Extensions in this gallery run in Safari 9.0 or newer.", it was small, plain black test and not obvious and everything else about the page was normal. Despite trying to force the browsers user agent to Safari 12, 11, and even 10 via Developer tools the site continued to think I was using an old version. This happened on three different MacBook Pro laptops! Two on Mojave and one on High Sierra.

At some point in the troubleshooting, primarily due to the App Store connection issue, we were playing with DNS and other network settings (to no avail). Later, I setup a personal hotspot on my phone connected the main Macbook to that and the App Store immediately connected and worked. The most curious and confusing piece is that the Safari extensions site started working too. The Install Now link appeared and everything worked. Likewise when I connected to a VPN to essentially tunnel out of the local ISPs network everything worked as expected.

So, the ISP must be doing some kind of packet shaping or something that they're not admitting to. How / why that effected the user agent being sent from the browser I have no idea. When I selected user agents like Chrome, etc the site knew it was not Safari at all and gave me a different message so it seems to have specifically been the version portion of the user agent string. So, so bizarre.

At least we can add item to the list of potential fixes for this issue. That's one for the books for sure.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In regards to the Safari extensions site it turns out that the site was detecting the user agent of my browser as an older version of Safari (pre- 9.0) and thus denying me the install link.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

At least we can add item to the list of potential fixes for this issue. That's one for the books for sure.

Amen. Thank you for sharing this! It never would have occurred to me to check that. I think it's pretty unlikely that anyone else will encounter that issue, but you never know... :scream:

• DigitalOxygen.ca
    DigitalOxygen.ca
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah this is a pretty out there issue but glad it's documented.

I'll be having a pretty heated conversation with my ISP on this one. Not cool.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DigitalOxygen.ca - yeah, this isn't one we see a lot (OK, any) of. I'd definitely have a conversation with them, if I were you. 😳

• Brnzi
    Brnzi
    Community Member
    Options

hi there, I recently upgraded my Mac OS to the newest one and now my 1Password 6 Safari extension is no longer working. When I attempted to download the extension it updated the 1password app itself, which I don't really want. I like my current version 6.

Would you mind to help me with this problem?

Kind Regards,
    Bruno.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Brnzi: If you mean you upgraded to macOS Mojave, then you'll also have Safari 12; and in Safari 12 Apple is getting rid of support for the old extensions. For the next several weeks at least, it will work if you install it from Apple's Safari Extension Gallery, as mentioned above. But Apple has announced they will no longer be taking extension submissions there, and will be shutting it down next year. So, going forward, you'll need to either upgrade to 1Password 7 in order to use it with Safari, or use 1Password with a different browser.

• Jusacruiser
    Jusacruiser
    Community Member
    Options

Um.....The above thread is a complicated mixture of all sorts of extension problems. I have an extension issue too and will try to keep my question simple.

My Safari extension for 1Password is not working and thus, the icon is not in the window toolbar. I have Mojave10.14.1, 1Password 7.2.2 and Safari 12.0.1 How do I get my 1Password extension working in Safari? Thanks.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@Jusacruiser In Safari 12.0.1 go to Preferences>Extensions and ensure that the 1Password Extension is checked. Once that is done, you may want to restart Safari and/or restart your Mac. hth

• Jusacruiser
    Jusacruiser
    Community Member
    Options

Ok.....I did that and it worked! The 1password icon is at the very top of screen where the volume, date, and battery is.

I had been looking in the window tool bar before. Is the location of the icon supposed to be just at the very top only?

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 5.54.43 PM

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jusacruiser: Thanks for the update -- and vplewis for the assist!

Regarding the menu bar icon, indeed, that's the only place it can be (unless you install some crazy menu bar manager that allows for something different). You can, however, have a 1Password toolbar icon in your browser if you've installed and enabled the 1Password extension there. Cheers! :)

• Jusacruiser
    Jusacruiser
    Community Member
    Options

......but, that’s just it....you’re not able to install an extension there. Will there be a fix anytime soon, to make all this easier?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jusacruiser: I'm not sure what you mean. "not able to install an extension" where?

• Jusacruiser
    Jusacruiser
    Community Member
    Options

Brent.....I finally figured it out. In the past I was able to click the 1Password icon within the safari menu bar's browser, itself. Now, just use Mojave's Menu Bar, located along the top of the screen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You should also be able to enable the toolbar button in Safari. We don't have any control over Safari, but this may help:

https://support.1password.com/missing-extension-button/#safari

If that's not working, there may be a deeper issue with the browser, so getting help from Apple may be a good idea. But either way I'm glad to hear 1Password's menu bar icon is working for you.

This discussion has been closed.