I'm sending my computer in for repair. Do I need to do anything to secure the 1Password data on it?

springandfall
springandfall
Community Member

HP instructed me to remove any sensitive or confidential data before sending it to them for repair. There isn't any sensitive data on this computer, except in 1Password. I use 1Password Families, and my Master Password is strong. Can I safely leave 1Password as it is during the repair?

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I'm sending my computer in for repair. Do I need to do anything to secure the 1Password data on it?

Comments

• Hi @springandfall

I wouldn’t. While your data is protected with your Master Password your Secret Key is stored on the computer and could be retreived by a nefarious repair tech. Reality is that unless they are targeting you specifically there is no real cause for concern, but why give them more information than they need? :)

If it were me I’d make a whole disk backup, erase the drive, and install the operating system fresh, so that the repair outfit has none of my information. But that’s me; you may have different thoughts about what is private/sensitive.

Ben

• springandfall
    springandfall
    Community Member

Thank you, Ben!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

You’re welcome. :)

Ben

ref: WJQ-95818-414

This discussion has been closed.