Unable to create a login manually in the browser

simplesurfer
simplesurfer
Community Member

Hi all,

I am just halfway through my free trial month and still meeting a few rough edges here and there, hope you can help me.

Today I am trying to save a login for a pretty weird login form.

I follow your tutorial on how to save a login manually, but after I click "Save new login"... nothing happens. I would expect the standalone 1 password 7 app to pop up, but nothing of that sort happens. What could be the reason here?

As a side note, I do have two plugins installed in my browser -- the plugin to work together with the native app (when I'm on macOS) and the 1Password X plugin for chrome (for when I'm on my ubuntu machine). I only found out today that these two are different, which is why I installed the second one on macOS. I hope this does not cause any problems.

thanks

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Manual saving does not open a dialog

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@simplesurfer - sorry for the trouble at that site. As a preface, you should be able to run the standard 1Password extension that goes with 1Password for Mac side by side with 1Password X without any real technical issues...but the issue of confusion may arise: you think you're saving it via one when you're really using the other, etc. Not saying that's what's happened here, but just be aware of that.

Regarding the Deutsche Bank site, I'll agree: that's one of the more non-standard ones I've seen...and yet, following their field conventions and using these instructions to save the login manually not only worked (for saving), but filled in the form correctly afterwards. Of course I don't have a real account there, so I can't say what might happen after that screen, but I was at least able to get the page to spit out their version of the "incorrect credentials" message.

If you've already saved a Login item for this site, I'd delete it and follow the instructions at the above link to re-save your credentials manually, then see how that works for you. Let me know what you discover!

• simplesurfer
    simplesurfer
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Hi Lars,

thanks for your reply.

I agree that having them side-by-side might lead to confusions but for now I'm thankful that they have different icons. As I need to use 1Password both on a Mac (Chrome extension that goes together with the native app) and on Ubuntu (1Password X chrome extension), I don't think I can only pick one. Maybe I can configure Chrome not to sync these extensions on all of my machines, but that's an issue for another time.

I have tried to follow the instructions on the link you have provided. However, the problem is the following: When I click on the "save new login" menu item.. nothing happens. No window ops up, nothing. So I can't even get to the part where I can create a new login.

So to be clear, after clicking the menu item visible in the screenshot, nothing happens:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@simplesurfer

Maybe I can configure Chrome not to sync these extensions on all of my machines, but that's an issue for another time.

Or use a different browser on different computers.

Regarding your actual issue, when you activate the mini, can you try using the keyboard command, ⌘N? Let me know what (if anything) that does for you?

• simplesurfer
    simplesurfer
    Community Member

Thanks, I have since restarted my machine and the problem has disappeared. It now properly opens the dialog and I can create the entry manually. Thanks for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@simplesurfer - you would be surprised how many situations are resolved by a simple restart. That's the main reason it's become a tech support cliché. Glad that worked for you! :)

• simplesurfer
    simplesurfer
    Community Member

I have worked in tech support as well and am very well aware that this cliché usually actually works. Of course, when it's your own personal issue, you never think that could be the solution. >_<

So thanks again for your kind support. The friendly atmosphere here in the forums makes a huge difference and I'll happily move from my free trial to a paid subscription. :)

• Of course. Having been in that boat I can relate. :) Thanks for the update, and the kind words.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.