How to use rich text in Secure Notes in 1Password for iOS?

Options
BrisbaneMango
BrisbaneMango
Community Member

Hi!

I've just updated 1Password for iOS (on my iPhone 7) to version 7.1. The release blurb mentions that rich text is now available in secure notes. How do I use this new feature? While editing a secure note on the iOS app I don't see the option to format text as headers, bold, italic, etc.

Also, will the 1Password for Windows app 'see' any rich text formatting changes made to a secure note in the iOS app?, and will the Windows app also allow the addition of rich text to secure notes?

Kind regards,

/Neil

1Password Version: 7.1 for iOS
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: iOS 12 (Beta)
Sync Type: 1Password subscription

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BrisbaneMango - the release notes don't mention "rich text," because that's not what we actually did. What we are doing is implementing Markdown, which is a set of very simple-to-learn formatting codes that allow you to render text in several formats (bold, italicized, etc). If you have 1Password for Mac, you can actually see the formatting once you exit Edit mode on a note. On iOS, that work is still in progress, but the actual display of the text in formatted form is not quite ready yet. It's coming soon (though I can't tell you exactly when), but when it does, it won't have formatting buttons like in Microsoft Word or the like. If you'd like to read how to use Markdown in 1Password, here’s the place to start.

• BrisbaneMango
    BrisbaneMango
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars,

Thanks for the prompt reply. You mention "...the release notes don't mention "rich text"" - I beg to differ! This is a screenshot from the "What's New" blurb on my iPhone:

Can I use markdown in secure notes in the iOS app?

Kind regards,

/Neil

• luke1970
    luke1970
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hm, you wrote: "What we are doing is implementing Markdown".
    On macOS version I write ** ** in a secure note for bold text. Also exp: test
    In iOS version of 1PW is this text not bold. There is only the text "** test **"
    Why this?

macOS version 1Password 7 Version 7.0.7 (70007000) AgileBits Store
    iOS version: 7.1 (70100006)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BrisbaneMango -- Rich Text using Markdown being the operative phrase there. My mistake that the release notes actually do use the phrase "Rich Text." When you started talking about formatting buttons, I assumed you weren't aware of what Markdown was or how it worked; thought you were after RTF or something similar (which we have not and likely will not do).

We also had a hiccup with this release - Markdown support was indeed slated to be part of this release (which is why the notes mention it), but due to an error in the code it was inadvertently slated for a later release and so not included in the current one when compiling. We've already submitted 7.1.1, which rectifies this omission, and as soon as Apple completes their review, you'll see it in the App Store (or in Updates).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@luke1970 - please see my above reply to @BrisbaneMango :)

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Expanding Markdown for Mac & iOS...

Currently, 1PW7 (Mac & iOS) supports a small portion of the Basic Markdown Syntax (which is understandable as 1PW7 is still evolving).

Here's what 1PW7 currently supports: https://support.1password.com/markdown/

I'm curious as to 1PW7 expanding additional Syntax. See: https://markdownguide.org/basic-syntax.

...The above Links don't precisely render in Secure Notes as it does in this Post. See snap (below) of what rendering of 2d link, looks like in one of my 1PW7 SNs >

Anyway, the linked, web page shows there's a lot of syntax, even classified as Basic, that 1PW7 could support.

Will forthcoming updates continually expand Markdown syntax support for Secure Notes?

P.S. It will be terrific when Markdown expands to Notes within other Categories outside of Secure Notes. ...I like Markdown. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbGuy - thanks for the suggestion! We've gotten quite a bit of it surrounding Markdown in particular, from people like you who are eager to see us expand its use/adoption, to others who don't even know what Markdown is and don't like it. My guess is that we will be adding further support for additional syntax, but that's not something I can provide any real insight into just now. I agree in principle, however: expanding the syntax available would certainly allow users to do more with it.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

@Lars, following-up regarding users who don't know Markdown, or don't like it (which is Ok), Markdown's use is a personal implementation and can be ignored.

Moreover since there's some support currently, there's no point in limiting Markdown to its present level. ...I will be disappointed, as a membership subscriber, if Markdown support is not expanded to almost fully implement basic syntax as shown at the Markdown Guide web site.

I will go further to say as 1PW improves, it should / must contain more robust features exemplified by Markdown, as these kinds of features differentiate 1PW. Moreover by expanding Markdown support, AgileBits will be acknowledging its subscriber base is knowledgeable and use of these kinds of robust features appeal to advanced subscribers.

I encourage AgileBits to move full steam ahead with added, Markdown support (including rich text notes within other Categories outside of Secure Notes).

I hope my encouragement gets forwarded up the chain to those deciding on the direction of added features.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbGuy - good points, all. A couple of things to consider, though: our implementation of Markdown is an order of magnitude trickier than a standard implementation, because we have to make sure it's secure, not just by itself, but to side-channel attacks or anything else that might allow a dedicated and knowledgeable attacker to gain access to anything they otherwise wouldn't be able to access. Beyond that, we're quite aware a good chunk of our user-base is knowledgeable. Most of that sort of user has been with us for quite a while. What we're getting far more of, these days, are significantly less-"techy" users who don't use or even understand some of the more-advanced features, and we need to keep those folks in mind as much as we do the long-time, "power" users. It's not an easy balancing act, and we don't always get it right, but we are always open to suggestions and even changes, when a better way presents itself. But if Feature Z isn't immediately (or ever) implemented, there are always going to be reasons for it. Thanks again for the nudge toward more robust Markdown support. :)

This discussion has been closed.