Receiving a 404 Error when attempting to access financial institution

When using Safari 1Password Extension to Open & Fill access to my financial institution, I receive a 404 Error. If I attempt the access the same site 'manually' by Cut-n-Paste the URL, Username, & Password from 1Password & then select ''Sign-In', it works fine. I never had this particular issue with 1Password access to my financial institution before a few days ago. The only recent change that I can think of was an upgrade to OS X 10.13.6 ten days ago, but I do not know for sure that I haven't had successful sign-ins to my financial institution between the OS X upgrade and my first knowledge of the failure.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:404 error

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scottsmith44: Could you share the URL saved in your login so we can test it? It sounds like maybe the browser is correcting it or redirected when you enter it yourself, whereas 1Password is filling it as-is. Also, which browser version are you using? Thanks in advance!

• scottsmith44
    scottsmith44
    Community Member

The 1Password-saved URL is: https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-banking.html
    The browser version is: Safari 11.1.2

Thanks for your willingness to test this.

• s
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scottsmith44: Likewise, thank you for getting back to me! Unfortunately I'm not seeing the behaviour you're describing, so there's probably some other detail I'm missing. I was expecting some sort of redirect, but after saving a login there I'm able to have 1Password take me right back to that page in Safari 11.2. The challenge I'm seeing is that it is necessary to click the "Login" button in the upper right to even bring up a login form. But once I do that, I can get 1Password to fill there using ⌘ \. Can you tell me the exact steps you're taking, and at which point you're getting the error?

• scottsmith44
    scottsmith44
    Community Member

Thanks, @brenty - here's the steps I take to get into my PNC Bank account:

1) open up a new Safari window

2) select the Safari 1Password Extension

3) navigate to my PNC Bank login entry & select 'Open & Fill'

4) a new Safari tab is opened and the PNC Bank URL is automatically filled in & the username/password are also automatically filled in

5) another Safari tab is automatically opened and the PNC Bank 404 error is displayed within this tab

6) (I just noticed this today) if I go back to the previous Safari tab (the one that has the PNC Bank URL with username/password already entered), and select 'login', I go right into my PNC Bank account without a problem

As you might surmise by now, I have the 1Password 'Preferences/Browsers/Filling & Signing In' option turned on (i.e., I have the 'Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords' option turned on). I suspect if I turn this option off & manually select 'login', everything would be fine.

I like the 'automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords' option since it works well for all of my other web site sign ins - and, although I would prefer that it work (as it did previously) with my PNC Bank login, I can live with the work-around of just going back one Safari tab and selecting 'login' manually for PNC Bank. As a result, we do not need to continue pursuing this unless it is would be helpful to the 1Password Team. In this case, I would be very happy to continue pursuing.

By the way, 1Password is a fabulous product, especially the MAC OS version! Thanks to you and your team!

• Scott
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As you might surmise by now, I have the 1Password 'Preferences/Browsers/Filling & Signing In' option turned on (i.e., I have the 'Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords' option turned on). I suspect if I turn this option off & manually select 'login', everything would be fine.

@scottsmith44: Thanks for getting back to me! I was actually just thinking that as I read your description, because it does seem like that's the point where it's happening. If you disable autosubmit, either globally (Preference > Browsers) or by editing that login, do you encounter the same issue when filling with 1Password but submitting the form yourself?

I suspect I'm not seeing that here because I don't have a real login for the site. It seems like this is happening as part of the submission process because they're expecting the user to submit the login form, not 1Password's script. So I think that could help.

I like the 'automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords' option since it works well for all of my other web site sign ins - and, although I would prefer that it work (as it did previously) with my PNC Bank login, I can live with the work-around of just going back one Safari tab and selecting 'login' manually for PNC Bank. As a result, we do not need to continue pursuing this unless it is would be helpful to the 1Password Team. In this case, I would be very happy to continue pursuing.

This makes me really sad, because autosubmit is going away with Mohave and Safari 12. Having browser extensions being able to send keystrokes is really cool, but it can be abused by malware. So it isn't something that 1Password is going to be able to do in the near future. Honestly, that doesn't bother me so much since, as you have also noticed, this doesn't work with all sites and frankly it can cause big problems with some. What makes me sad is that a feature you appreciate isn't going to be available anymore. I think this is best in the long run for security, but it's never fun having something cool like that, which you enjoy and we worked hard on, being gone suddenly one day.

But, perhaps a silver lining, part of the work we do on the extension in addition to filling is trying to make 1Password focus the password field afterward. On most websites, this allows you to simply press Return to submit the form. So you may find that helpful. I'm also curious to hear if that works better with this particular site anyway.

By the way, 1Password is a fabulous product, especially the MAC OS version! Thanks to you and your team!

Thanks for the kind word! We really love what we do, and are incredibly grateful to be able to continue working on 1Password thanks to the support of you and the rest of our awesome customers. :chuffed:

• scottsmith44
    scottsmith44
    Community Member

Well, I changed the login entry for PNC Bank to indicate 'Never Submit' & I also changed 1Password Preferences/Browsers to turn off 'Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords' - then rebooted the MAC - following those changes, selecting the PNC Bank login entry from the Safari 1Password Extension still seems to want to automatically submit - and, yes, it gets the 404 error - however, other logins do not auto-submit - I'm confused now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scottsmith44: Okay that is confusing. Perhaps we jumped to a conclusion here, and it really has nothing to do with autosubmit. Just to make sure we're on the same page though, can you send me a screenshot of your setting in the login item? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. If you scroll down to the bottom of the details, that should help.

Also, what is the URL you end up at when you see the 404 error? I don't know why I didn't ask that earlier. That could potentially shed some light on this.

• scottsmith44
    scottsmith44
    Community Member

Here's a screenshot of the settings for this login item (I temporarily blanked out the username before capturing):

...and the URL of the resulting 404 screen is https://www.pnc.com/en/null

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scottsmith44: Hmm. This is baffling. It's either something which is part of the actual login process which I cannot test for (and therefore something outside 1Password's control), or the beta version I'm using somehow avoids the issue. The only other thing worth trying is saving a new login.

In many cases manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better. Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosubmit disabled

Please do not overwrite or delete the original login. If creating a new one works, I'd still be curious to learn what the difference is. Let me know how it goes!

• scottsmith44
    scottsmith44
    Community Member

I went through your recommended sequence to save a new login for this website - and, yes, the new login works great - I re-tested the old login, and it of course still gets the 404 error. I don't understand why one would work and the other doesn't, but that's what I have. Thanks so much for your help - I'll use the new login moving forward.

I've saved the old login, so if there is anything you'd like me to do with it, I'd be more than happy to continue working on it.

• Scott
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scottsmith44: That's more than I was willing to hope for. Thanks for the update! I'm wondering if you edit the old login and view the "web form details" at the bottom if you notice any differences there, since that wasn't shown in your earlier screenshot. Anyway, glad that a new login helped! :)

• scottsmith44
    scottsmith44
    Community Member

Well, you seem to be onto something. There is a difference in the web form details. The Login-OLD has 'SELECT SERVICE' specified, while the Login-NEW has a '0' in that spot.

I am attaching screen shots of the two, named Login-OLD and Login-NEW - I've 'xxxxxxxx'ed out the username temporarily prior to capturing the image.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scottsmith44: Know what, I bet they changed something on their site recently, and SELECT SERVICE was doing something before but now it leads to a 404. So weird. But I bet they never imagined anyone would notice. Thank you for sharing that! :lol:

• scottsmith44
    scottsmith44
    Community Member

Thank you for all of your help - unless you have interest, I'll probably delete the old login.

Thanks!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

You're very welcome! And I really appreciate you humouring me. Now I can sleep! :lol: So long as your new login works, no problem deleting the old one. Just glad the mystery is solved. and that all is well for you again. Have a great weekend! :chuffed:

• scottsmith44
    scottsmith44
    Community Member

Same to you - I continue to think very highly of 1Password - a great product!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I'm happy to learn Brenty was helpful in ferreting out the the cause of the weird behaviour. Hopefully things runs smoothly now but if you come across any other oddities please do let us know :smile:

This discussion has been closed.