TouchID not working on new MBP15

nickdag
nickdag
Community Member

Hi there. TouchID worked for the first couple of days, then I changed the frequency for which it asks for the master password. Since then, I haven't since been able to use TouchID to unlock 1Password. It's been over a month.
I have seen other threads and have turned off TouchID in Mac Preferences and in 1Password and rebooted. This did not work.

Thanks
-nick

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• goughac
    goughac
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Broadly the same problem here on the new MBP13. TouchID was working but isn't any more. The big difference may be that I'm on the Mojave Public Beta 3 (18A336e).

I have tried all that you mentioned. Also a full delete (even cleaning out the Library preferences) then a reinstall. No joy. It's a retro experience going back to my MacBook.

• @goughac,

Being that you're on Mojave, the problem isn't the same as @nickdag's on 10.13. 10.14 is preventing access to keychain APIs which in turn prevents us from creating a Secure Enclave key pair, which in turn locks out the Touch ID functionality.

In @nickdag's case something is actually missing from the keychain that prevents the Secure Enclave key pair from being able to decrypt his data.

• goughac
    goughac
    Community Member

@rudy and thank you for the post in the other thread that says it's a known issue with this beta.

• :+1:

• nojetlag
    nojetlag
    Community Member

Same problem here TouchId is not working with 1password, however with websites to purchase and to unlock it works.

• nickdag
    nickdag
    Community Member

Sorry. I didn't realize people had responded to my thread. (I have 1Password for Families; should I get support through 1Password.com?) Is there any action you think I should take? So, apparently something is missing from my keychain, but... what can I do about that?
    Thanks

• @nickdag,

nope, you're in the right place. We believe something is getting disconnected when users are migrating to a Touch ID enabled Mac or restoring their System Keychain from a backup or another Mac.

The only thing we've found (shy of reinstalling the OS) is to move the keychain aside and allow the system to create a new one using these instructions: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/451476/#Comment_451476

• nickdag
    nickdag
    Community Member

Thanks, @rudy

It's a work computer which is tightly administered. When I first installed 1Password, TouchID worked. Then, I changed my computer name in Preferences -> Sharing. This broke my access to the work network, and our helpdesk had to work some magic. I think they had to recreate some certs and/or my keychain. I believe it was also at this time that 1Password broke, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not comfortable with deleting my keychain(s) on my work computer, as I don't want to go to the hassle of the helpdesk having to restore my access.

• nickdag
    nickdag
    Community Member

Any progress on other options?
    Any updates on the keychain move to .old and then revert back to the original name (found in the thread that rudy linked to)?

What does the keychain include? Just saved passwords? Anything else? Will it erase my registration w/ wifi?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nickdag: The Keychain includes pretty much any credentials that are saved at the system level. There is more than one though, and others can be created. This is really very much out of scope for 1Password, and I wouldn't want to tell you the wrong thing and make things even worse after whatever they've done to your machine. It would be best to have them sort it out (since it sounds like it's their hardware anyway and they probably know what they did in the first place) or, failing that, contact Apple. We don't have any special insight into what might be wrong on your machine, or into the OS itself. :(

• nickdag
    nickdag
    Community Member

That's totally understandable. Thanks, @brenty

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.