Markdown and Rich Text for Secure Notes on 4" iPhones

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

I have now upgraded my iPhones to 1Password 7.1. It's great to see Markdown but it looks the same as 1Password 7. I tried to edit a Secure Note and could not tell any difference. Fonts are smaller which has already been mentioned.

How is Markdown used?

1Password Version: 1Password 7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.3.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

You can format your secure notes with Markdown in 1Password 7.1.1 for iOS. That didn't quite make it into the 7.1 release and we soon took care of it with the 7.1.1 update. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk, I now have 1Password 7.1.1. I expected a formatting toolbar like as shown in this forum. I expect the Markdown will be improved on in future releases.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We've actually gotten a lot of feedback that it should be kept simple, but no other requests I've seen to add a toolbar with formatting options. I guess we'll see how it goes. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

@brenty,

Simple is good but I am a GUI/WYSIWYG guy! Used a MAC when it was a Plus/SE.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018
    Options

I would argue that one of the goals of markdown is to be simple enough to not require a GUI/WYSIWYG:

‘with the goal of enabling people "to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format, and optionally convert it to structurally valid XHTML (or HTML)".’ (from Wikipedia)

Emphasis on plain text. :) It is supposed to be intuitive enough that it follows much of the “formatting” folks used back before Rich Text in email was a thing. For example, **this is bold** produces this is bold, which is syntax that people were using long before it was ever formatted for display.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi

As suggested on another thread I started, I have purchased IA Writer for Markdown.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/94576/how-much-would-need-to-be-done

I will do Markdown outside of 1Password and pasting into the Secure Note.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's certainly one approach. There are a lot of great general purpose text editors out there. :)

This discussion has been closed.