1P for Mac or 1P Families - Need some advice

sri
sri
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Families

I have been a long time user of 1P for Mac (and iOS). Now we have a college-bound teenager with whom we'd like to share some passwords and who would want to manage her own set of passwords.

So 1P-Families seems like the answer.

If I understand the FAQ section at https://1password.com/families/ I can continue using 1P-7. So here are my questions:

1. Would I setup a family account with 1 user (for my daughter) and somehow link it with my 1P7? Or do I have to set up at least two users. Latter seems like an unnecessary expense given that I've invested in 1P7.
  2. I use 1P-Mac within our house (multiple Macs and iOS devices). These are sync'ed using Dropbox (because of multiple vaults). Now if I introduce 1P-Families to the mix how will the passwords sync? Do I have to get rid of Dropbox?
  3. Is 1P-Families a tool with a web-only interface or is there a Mac-native app for it? How about iOS usage?

I appreciate any light you can shed.

Sri

1Password Version: 1P7
Extension Version: Chrome, Safari
OS Version: Mac OSX High Sierra 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sri: You don't have to get rid of Dropbox, but I'd recommend it. Using only 1Password Families will make things much easier for you and your loved ones. You don't need to give up 1Password 7 at all though. The point of 1Password.com memberships are that all the apps are included, and sync is built in: you just sign into your account to access your data, either in the browser or in the apps.

A 1Password Families membership juts ups the game by including all the same benefits for 5 family members in the base price. It also allows you to easily share vaults securely and help family members recover their accounts if they get locked out — along with the many other benefits of 1Password.com, like automatic offsite backup and item history are included, so losing your devices doesn't mean losing your data.

So, how it works is that each family member you invite will have their own account (Master Password, Private vault) under your plan, and access to any vaults you share with them. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• sri
    sri
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for your response. Here is what I have inferred:

In order to be able to selectively share passwords with members of our family using 1P-Family:

1. Set up a family account
    2. Invite my daughter to the family account
    3. Create a shared vault that we then share with her
    4. Along the way I can discard my Dropbox sync 'cos 1P-Families does it

By doing so, each user in the 1P-Family can manage their own passwords (in our private-to-user vault) or shared passwords (in the shared vault). In order to avail of this capability, I have gone from a one-time $65 cost of 1 Password-7 to a $120 per annum charge.

Did I get all that correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sri: Close, but not quite, so I thank you for allowing me the opportunity to fill in the blanks. :)

In order to be able to selectively share passwords with members of our family using 1P-Family:
    Set up a family account
    Invite my daughter to the family account

100% correct.

Create a shared vault that we then share with her

If you want to create a vault to share only with her, that's good. But if you just need to share stuff with all family members you invite (or she's the only one), there's a default Shared vault that everyone has access to.

Along the way I can discard my Dropbox sync 'cos 1P-Families does it

Yep!

By doing so, each user in the 1P-Family can manage their own passwords (in our private-to-user vault) or shared passwords (in the shared vault).

Yep!

In order to avail of this capability, I have gone from a one-time $65 cost of 1 Password-7 to a $120 per annum charge. Did I get all that correct?

Unless you're calculating cost in a different currency, then that's not quite right. a single 1Password 7 license is 50$US during the launch special or 65$US later. And it sounds like you'd need at least two of those (not to mention apps for any other platforms you use). On the other hand, a 1Password Families membership is about 60$US per year, and that includes up to five family members, all the apps for each of them. So I think that should help a bit. Let me know if there's anything else that needs clarification though. :)

• sri
    sri
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the quick (and detailed) response.

In order to avail of this capability, I have gone from a one-time $65 cost of 1 Password-7 to a $120 per annum charge. Did I get all that correct?

Unless you're calculating cost in a different currency, then that's not quite right. a single 1Password 7 license is 50$US during the launch special or 65$US later. And it sounds like you'd need at least two of those (not to mention apps for any other platforms you use). On the other hand, a 1Password Families membership is about 60$US per year, and that includes up to five family members, all the apps for each of them. So I think that should help a bit. Let me know if there's anything else that needs clarification though.

Fair enough.
    Currency in question is USD.
    So a real apples-to-apples comparison would be

• Using 1P-7 at 130 USD (65 USD x 2) vs
    • Using 1P-Families at 120 USD per-annum (2 x 5 USD x 12)
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sri: Hmm. This I understand:

Using 1P-7 at 130 USD (65 USD x 2) vs

But this has me confused:

Using 1P-Families at 120 USD per-annum (2 x 5 USD x 12)

Where is the 120 coming from?

• sri
    sri
    Community Member

@brenty : Re.

But this has me confused:

Using 1P-Families at 120 USD per-annum (2 x 5 USD x 12)

Where is the 120 coming from?

Because I'm a dope >_<

60USD per annum (5 USD per month for up-to 5 peeps x 12 months)

Sorry.

• Happens to the best of us. :) Yes, that looks correct now. $60/yr for 1Password Families vs $130 for two standalone 1Password 7 for Mac licenses. Your daughter may also want/need the Pro features for iOS which would be an additional $10 if going the standalone route (included with membership).

So a real apples-to-apples comparison would be

I'd argue that this still isn't quite an apples-to-apples comparison, as 1Password membership includes a fair bit that using 1Password standalone does not, whereas there is nothing that comes with 1Password standalone that isn't possible in a 1Password membership (membership includes everything -- including the ability to create and use standalone vaults). Additionally while sharing is technically possible using a standalone license it isn't supported and frankly one of the primary reasons we built 1Password membership service was to address the need for real sharing support for 1Password data.

Ben

• sri
    sri
    Community Member

@Ben
    Thanks for the clarification. I've created an account. Now to transfer stuff from my existing vaults to the swank new digs...

Sri

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Glad Ben was able to assist you @sri. If you need assistance transferring data, check out this support article.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sri: Indeed, that will take you all the way through signing up, migrating your data, and setting up the rest of your devices if you're using just a Primary vault. But if your setup is more involved than that let me know the details and I'll be happy to offer suggestions on how to proceed. :)

• sri
    sri
    Community Member

@Brenty I am good to go.

However, I would like point out that I ran into a little rough weather migrating my data.

I followed the instructions to migrate my data by dragging the QR code. Upon providing my master key I was told something to the effect that I was already signed up or some such error; and that I could not sign up twice. Could it be because I was on the same device (MacBook) on which I had signed up for a 1P-Families account?

Anyway, because of the error, I didn't get to the "Move Items" step. Which in retrospect was OK since I wasn't ready to move items yet. I just wanted to copy items. (Plan is to hang onto my old vaults until I am convinced and comfortable with the new setup).

Here's what I ended up doing:
    1. Go to old account on 1P7
    2. Select vault
    3. Select all items in the vault
    4. Item Menu > Copy to vault...Select vault on 1P-Family account
    5. Validate move via 1P-Family web interface (not sufficient to just verify on 1P7)
    6. Repeat steps 2-5 for all vaults on old account

I have since added items to the shared vault, invited family members and verified that it works as advertised. It does :-)

Thanks for all your help

Sri

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sri: Thanks for following up. It does sound like you're in good shape. That's essentially what I would have suggested. But let me know if you run into any other issues.

Upon providing my master key I was told something to the effect that I was already signed up or some such error; and that I could not sign up twice. Could it be because I was on the same device (MacBook) on which I had signed up for a 1P-Families account?

Without knowing the exact message, it's hard to say. But the only thing I can think of is that you were already signed into that account in the app, and so it wouldn't let you sign in again. Otherwise there's no problem having multiple accounts. It just isn't possible to sign up for more than one individual account using the same email address.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you hit a snag, but glad you we're able to press on. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.