Upgrade to version 7 from stand alone version 6 license

sameasterling
sameasterling
Community Member

I'm trying to upgrade to version 7 from a stand alone version 6 license. When opening 7 for the first time it does not recognize my existing license or data. Version 6 was not purchased from the App store.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@sameasterling you may find this post of mine from yesterday helpful. Sorry to link to it but it does save me typing it all again. :)

Edit: Add @ to poster.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @sameasterling! Sorry for the trouble you're having upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac from version 6.8.9. While version 7 won't recognize your version 6 license (because it is a new version and requires a new purchase or a 1password.com membership), it should certainly recognize your existing 1Password 6 for Mac data. If you were previously running 1Password 6 for Mac on this Mac, the new version 7 should locate your data and import it. Is this not what happened? And if not, can you tell me what you see now when you're opening 1Password 7 for Mac (maybe take a screenshot of what you see, if that would be easier)? Thanks.

• sameasterling
    sameasterling
    Community Member

Ah, I didn't realize it required a new license. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sameasterling - you're quite welcome! Glad to be able to help. :)

• kahopk
    kahopk
    Community Member

I've owned 1PW for iOS/Mac/Win for years. First time getting a notice to pay for the upgrade. What's up? And how to I continue to run those three platforms? Got notice to upgrade when macOS Mojave install finished and Safari told me to fix the extension...now unable to use product after the shared vault files converted...help! Stuck in between versions and platforms...

• Hi @kahopk

Especially considering the fact that you're using 3 different platforms I'd highly recommend taking a close look at 1Password membership, which among a lot of other things would include the ability to use the latest versions of 1Password on all of your devices:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Otherwise you can stick with standalone licenses, but they are sold per-person, per-platform, and per-version (i.e. 1Password 7 for Mac is a separate purchase from 1Password 7 for Windows). If you decide to go the membership route instructions on upgrading can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.