Help! Problem retrieving data file

cc8910
cc8910
Community Member

I had to do a clean install of high sierra onto my computer, and my old user profile is corrupted so I couldn't do migration assistant. I am having trouble finding the data file from my 1password profile (see attachment for the prompt I get when opening 1Password now).

I do have a time machine backup of my old computer, but I saw that I was supposed to go to users > Library > application support, but when I go to my old user folder, there is no file called Library.

If I go to the Hard Disk, there is a folder called Library and then Application Support, but nothing for 1Password.

If I search for 1Password while in Time Machine, I can see a bunch of 1Password files, but if I select them then click restore nothing seems to happen. You'll notice everything is greyed out on the left too, so I can't drag them over.

And when I'm back in my new profile, and I search for 1Password, this is all it finds:

Help!

1Password Version: Version 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• chadseld
    edited July 2018

Hi cc8910,

IIRC, 1Password 3 stored its data in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/. But if you downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store, it would be in ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/

Sometimes, Time Machine restoration takes a while to load the files before enabling the Restore button, especially if loading over a network. Hopefully this is the case, since grayed-out files do you no good.

I should note that 1Password 3 has a number of problems running under 10.13, so you should consider upgrading as soon as possible.

• cc8910
    cc8910
    Community Member

Hi chadseld,

I'm fine to upgrade, but before I do, I need to be able to access this data file!

If you look at the pictures I sent above — there is no Library folder in the user folder. I was able to show hidden files, and found the Library folder in the user folder, but it's greyed out and I get this error when I try to click on it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cc8910 - It looks as if none of those files are accessible to you (that's why you see the red minus symbols). This is a permissions issue. You'll need to reset the permissions on it, using either terminal commands or the ⌘I (command-I, "get info") combo. Set the permissions so that you can both read and write that file chadseld mentioned, and you should be able to proceed from there.

This discussion has been closed.