How do we add attachments to a 1P entry when using the subscription version?

PaperQueen
PaperQueen
Community Member

All these years, I've been able to attach critical documents to 1P entries (ex: paid invoice for a one year membership renewal) in the standalone app. Is that capability gone, now that I've switched to the subscription version?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:attachments

Comments

• Hi PaperQueen,

With the 1Password subscription, attachments are now handled as Documents. If you drag a file onto an item, a new Document item is created and linked back to the original item. It's not too different from the way attachments are handled on stand-alone vaults.

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member

Thanks for the response, @chadseld. I wasn't expecting the app to create an entirely new entry in the search list--never saw that in the standalone. Just have to get used to sifting through more stuff when doing a name search, crud.

• If you're used to the way attachments work this will be slightly different, though there are a number of benefits to it.

Many folks have Document items that aren't linked to other items at all. This isn't possible with standalone vaults. If you wanted to add a document to 1Password you had to create an entry in one of the available categories and attach the document to that. Now they can be freestanding.

Additionally, Document items can be linked to multiple other items, if desired, whereas attachments were attached to a single other item. For example, I have a scan of my credit card linked both to the related Credit Card item as well as the related Login item for the credit card's website. With standalone I would've had to create two entirely separate attachments in order to do that, and every time I got a new card (due to expiration, etc) I'd have to remember to update both. That isn't very time or storage space efficient.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Ben

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member

Ah, that does explain the purpose of the additional individual files, @Ben. Thanks for the clarification.

• You are very welccome @PaperQueen. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.