Automatic sign in for safari extension

adl218
adl218
Community Member

Just recently upgraded to 1password 7. I am now unable to get the safari extension to auto sign in once it fills in my credentials. I installed the script when prompted and now every time the privacy->accessibility system preference pops up even though the 1password extension is checked.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.0.7
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• rudy
    edited July 2018

@adl218,

The Autosubmit script doesn't function on 10.14 and will be going away all together in a future release. You can uncheck "automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" on the browsers tab in 1Password's preferences window to get the OS to stop prompting you to add access via privacy -> accessibility.

• adl218
    adl218
    Community Member

That's a bummer because it's one of my favorite features of the product.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

I’m sorry to hear that. There are some security concerns with extensions being able to simulate key strokes, which is what 1Password is doing in order to auto-submit forms (emulating the ‘return’ key). Going forward extensions including 1Password will be prevented from doing this. Finding the right balance between security and convenience is always difficult, but in this case the security concerns seemingly outweigh the benefits provided.

I’m sure we’ll have more information to share on the subject as things progress.

Ben

• jpedmd
    jpedmd
    Community Member

I agree that the Autosubmit was a very useful feature, and I'm also sorry to see it go.

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member

This is a real drag. :'(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jpedmd and @wagnerone - I don't disagree that it was useful...when it worked. But because of the myriad of different ways websites can set up their Login pages, it didn't always, and the number of times it didn't was significant enough that, when combined with the fact that there is no autosubmit on 1Password for iOS or in 1Password X, we decided it was time to retire the feature, given Apple's removal of it from Safari. It's an extra key-press -- something I think you'll find not that difficult to adjust to. I've been using auto-submit for years, and I think it took me maybe a weekend to adjust.

This discussion has been closed.