How do I move all of my various credit cards into one Credit Card Category? Thank you.

salubo
salubo
Community Member

I have a Credit Card category, but don't know how to move other/new card info into that category. Any help will be appreciated.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: os x 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I move all of my various credit cards into one Credit Card Category? Thank you.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@salubo - So, credit cards is one area where there may be a little confusion. There are two types of data people typically store for credit cards they use: the first is the actual credit card data itself, which can be added under (no surprise) the Credit Card category of 1Password. That will contain things like the actual card number, expiration date, customer service telephone number, etc. But people often also have an online relationship with the credit card provider, using it to check statement, pay bill, etc. -- and that requires a username and a password that's not your real name (typically). That information is stored as a Login item in 1Password. It's something we're looking at better integrating in upcoming versions of 1Password, but for now -- if you're like me, anyway -- you'll likely have two records for every credit card you carry: a Credit Card record with the details of the actual card/account, and a Login item, with your username and password to access the company's website.

If you have a 1password.com account and use 1Password for Mac, you can associate the two items to one another by selecting one of them in the main window of 1Password for Mac, clicking "Edit" then, down near the bottom of the record under "Related Items," clicking "Link Existing." You'll get a pop-up window; search for the other item and link the two. Then you can do the same thing in reverse from the other item back to the first. Another option would be to create a tag called "credit cards" (or whatever you think best), and using that to tag all credit card-related items in 1Password, whether they're in the Credit Card or the Login category (or something else). Hope this has given you some ideas for how to organize! :)

• salubo
    salubo
    Community Member

Thank you, Lars. As always, I appreciate the help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@salubo - you're quite welcome! Drop by anytime if you have questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.