Password X + Chrome (Windows): new tab opens instead of extension panel

Options

Under WIndows 10 with Chrome 67.0.3396.99
Sometimes, seemingly at random, 1Password X will stop working correctly, as in a new (blank) tab opens when I hit CTRL-SHIFT-X or I click the extension icon. The 1Password panel does not show at all.
When this happens, no amount of closing and reopening Chrome will fix the problem, only a PC restart will do.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.8.2
OS Version: Windows 10 1803
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@risoldi: I'm sorry to hear it! I haven't seen or heard of that before, but the next tie it happens take a look at the logs to see if that gives us a clue as to the cause:

1. Open Chrome and go to chrome://extensions/
    2. Under 1Password X, click "background page"
    3. Click "Debug" underneath "1Password X - Password Manager"
    4. Select the "Console" tab
    5. Unlock 1Password X
    6. Copy everything in the Console and save it to a text file

Let me know what you find!

• risoldi
    risoldi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    it's been a while since it last did it, but it just did it again. I am trying the steps you suggested, but I can't see the "Debug" you say I have to click on. To be clear, I have clicked on "background page" which opens a DevTools window for chrome-extension://[the id of the 1Password X extension]/_generated_background_page.html, but here I see nothing named "1Password X - Password Manager". Is that supposed to be a menu?

On another note, when I open the background page the console is showing "Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: Internal error opening backing store for indexedDB.open.". Don't know if this is related.

On yet another note, the blank tab that opens instead of the 1PX panel is at the URL
    chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/app/app.html#/page/welcome

• Mitch
    Options

HI @risoldi,

Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: Internal error opening backing store for indexedDB.open

This is going to be a tough one. :) I would have guessed that your database was out of space (do you have lots of items/documents in your vaults?) but you say it works most of the time. We'll likely have to do some more investigation here. For now can you let me know if you've updated Chrome to 68, or are you still on 67? Thanks for any more info you can provide.

Mitch

• 555FILK
    555FILK
    Community Member
    Options

This is now happening to me. I found this post through Google researching how to fix this problem.

I've used 1P for over 2 years without incident. I woke up today with this issue. The 1P icon on Chrome has the lock on it, like usual. I click it, but instead of the popup to enter my password, a new tab opens with the URL: chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/app/app.html#/page/welcome

I restarted Chrome, no help. I restarted computer, no help. I tried on another computer, no help. I re-installed the extension, no help.

• cecelia
    Options

Hey @555FILK Thanks for reporting this. You're not alone — A few others have experienced this issue as well. Our devs are actively working on fixing this issue as we speak. I'll update you as soon as we're able to release the fix.

• 555FILK
    555FILK
    Community Member
    Options

It is working now :)

• cecelia
    Options

Sweet! Was it the update to version 1.15.1 that did it @555FILK?

• 555FILK
    555FILK
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I believe so. Thanks a ton.

• cecelia
    Options

That's great. You're very welcome, @555FILK ❤️

This discussion has been closed.