Worries with different versions and features

Wombel
Wombel
Community Member

To consolidate all the different tools for password management in our team I made all the colleagues switch to 1Password. Now I had to find out that the clients for 1Password that are out there have very different capabilities. The most annoying is the handling of documents. What we want is to attach documents to entries. I see the advantage in keeping the documents separately but honestly, I do not care how 1Password handles the documents behind the scenes. I want to connect a document to an entry when I am editing the entry. Now it looks like this cannot be done with the web interface and also not with the Windows client. For us this does not work at all. I have a team of colleagues which work on different platforms and as of now, they cannot work together easily. Are there any plans to fix this in the near future?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Wombel: Thanks for getting in touch! Just to clarify, Documents are never attached to anything; they're each their own separate and unique item in 1Password, like a Login, Secure Note, etc. But indeed, linking items can be very handy. As you noted, this isn't something that all of the apps support yet. It's something we'll be adding across all platforms, but I can't give a time frame as it's just one of many features that people are asking for. In the mean time, you may find it useful to use tags and/or vaults to organize items more logically (in addition to descriptive naming). If you're having trouble finding the item you're looking for, there may be too many too similar or in the same place to differentiate. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Wombel
    Wombel
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you for your reply. It is of course correct that documents are not attached to anything, but this is the technical view of things. On the Mac client, I drop a document on a 1Password item. From a users perspective I attach it. But anyway, as I pointed out in my first post, you offer a team solution for professionals. As long as I worked in a Mac only environment, I never had a reason to complain. Now that my team is coming on board with Windows and Linux machines, things start to become difficult. Attaching (or linking) a document to an item to me seems a fundamental feature. I never used a password manager before who was not capable of doing that. From other posts I see that I am not alone with this assumption.

To cut a long story short: We need this feature on all clients. Being a paying customers who pays every month for the service (private and business) I think this is not an unreasonable demand.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Wombel: I think that demands in general are unreasonable, but I agree that it would be nice to have the ability to link Documents (and other items) across all platforms. You're only paying for the features that 1Password.com currently offers, but — as I'm sure you know — we continue to add value to that for you and everyone else over time. Anyway, it's something we'd very much like ourselves too! It isn't possible for us to do everything that everyone wants us to at once, but it's definitely on our agenda, and I'd encourage you to reach out at business@1password.com if you'd like to discuss that or any of your company's other specific needs in more depth. We try to prioritize the work we do based on what will do the most good for the greatest number of 1Password users, and it helps even more to have a clear sense of what folks are looking for — as I'm sure that varies from person to person even within your organization. :)

• Wombel
    Wombel
    Community Member

@brenty Well, there you got me. Being not a native speaker I guess demands was the wrong word in this context. Wish might have been better. I will follow your advice and get in contact with business@1password.com. Just one closing sentence: In my opinion, a team solution should enable a team to work seamlessly together. This, apart from the 1P features, is what I am paying for.

But, apart from that, as a Mac user, I simply love 1Password. :)

• Thanks for the feedback @Wombel. Rick’s explanation here may be interesting to you:

Feature parity across versions ever going to happen? — 1Password Forum

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In my opinion, a team solution should enable a team to work seamlessly together.

@Wombel: We're in complete agreement. I'm sorry that we're not able to offer everything your team needs today across the board, but we'll keep working hard to make it happen. Thank you for pushing us to do better!

This discussion has been closed.