Lost master password, touchID works

dbain528
dbain528
Community Member

We reset our master password. Then went on vacation for a week, now neither of us remembers the new password. Can't unlock vault from computers without master password. We have access to the vault on iPhone via touchID. How do we recover or reset master password from iPhone?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:lost master password

Comments

• Hi @dbain528

I'm sorry to hear about the situation. It is not possible to reset or recover a Master Password. We do have some tips which may be helpful available here:

If you forgot your Master Password or you can't unlock 1Password | 1Password

Ultimately if you are unable to recall the new Master Password, but you do have access to your data via Touch ID I'd suggest migrating your data out of the current vault. To do that please sign up for a 1Password membership trial:

Pricing, free trial for password manager | 1Password

Then follow these instructions to migrate your data into that trial membership:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Be sure to print your Emergency Kit and write in your membership Master Password, and store the Emergency Kit in a safe place. You then have a couple of choices. You can reset 1Password, erasing the old vault (the one you've forgotten the password to), and continue using the membership. This would require a membership subscription. You can read about the benefits of membership here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Alternatively you can reset 1Password (erasing the old vault) and create a new standalone (non-membership) vault. You'll need to also delete the old one from Dropbox.

Please let me know which route you'd like to take and I'll get you more specific instructions.

Thank you.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.