Help removing app

joehandler
joehandler
Community Member

How can I remove 1Password 7 from my new MacBook, downloaded from 1Password website? Moving to a new computer, I downloaded V7 from company website but can't get it re-registered. I am trying to remove this copy of app to replace it with a download of my original purchased copy from Apple App Store. TROUBLE is the V7 app from company website will not move to the trash can.

1Password Version: 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: not applicable
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:How can I remove 1Password 7 from my new MacBook, downloaded from 1Password website? I am unable to move the new app icon to the trash. I am going to replace the website download with a download of my original purchased copy from Apple App Store.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@joehandler there are detailed instructions in this AgileBits' post for reverting from 1Password 7 to 1Password 6.

However, if you'd prefer to proceed with the paid upgrade from the 1Password 6 standalone version to the 1Password 7 standalone version you should be able to buy a licence by going, in 1Password 7, to the 1Password 7 menu item and choosing the option there that allows you to buy a licence.

Stephen

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joehandler, before we proceed with options, I would like to better understand what you are looking to do: would you like to revert to 1Password 6? Or would you like to purchase a copy of 1Password 7?

Please let me know and I will outline appropriate options, some of which Stephen has already mentioned :smile:.

• joehandler
    joehandler
    Community Member

I want to continue to use V.6 of 1Passwords I had on my old MacBook. I bought a new Apple MacBook. I uploaded V.7 the only copy of 1Password I could find on the company website, thinking that I could add my identity and resume using 1Password on the new laptop. But I found V.7 requires a purchase of a new copy, so I tried but was unable to remove the new V.7 app place from the apps (Launchbar). How should I proceed now? I don't want to purchase a new license when V.6 was just fine. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@joehandler - as a security company, we can't recommend you use sticking with a retired, legacy version as a long-term solution to your problems. Right now, 1Password 6 for Mac works fine, and indeed, it's the ONLY option for those who are still using macOS Yosemite or El Capitan. But, just as those versions of macOS are now in the past, so is 1Password 6 for Mac -- and the release of 1Password 7 for Mac means that version 6 won't be receiving further development attention. So at some point, you'll likely want to upgrade.

However, if that time is not yet in your opinion, then the way to remove 1Password 7 for Mac is to first make sure you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Or, if the main 1Password 7 for Mac app is not running, look for the mini icon in your Mac's menubar, hold down the option key as you click it, and choose "Quit 1Password Completely." Once you do that, you should be able to delete 1Password 7 for Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash, then empty your Mac's Trash. Once that's done, you can re-install 1Password 6 for Mac. If you no longer have a copy of the 1Password 6 for Mac installer, you can get the final version of it (6.8.9) from our downloads page (scroll down to "Using an older OS?" section). Let us know if you run into any difficulties.

This discussion has been closed.