1Password7 not filling in any info!

Sara_B
Sara_B
Community Member

I am having to restart because I stupidly forgot my Master Password. So, I have begun to recreate my information... But all 7 passwords I have recreated will not auto-fill!! I have tried command backslash, nothing. I have uninstalled it twice, and reinstalled... It is not working! I'm getting pretty fed up. Not only do I have to recreate 150 passwords, (yea, my fault...), but now it doesn't work!! 😡
Chrome Version 68.0.3440.84

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 70007000
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• leva0887
    leva0887
    Community Member

@Sara_B Can you check if your 1Password Extension icon in Google Chrome grey or not?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Sara_B - sorry for the trouble. Forgetting your Master Password can be a real problem. If you're sure you've forgotten it, then it sounds like you're on the right track. However, "70007000" isn't actually one of our extension numbers, so I'm wondering what you do have installed. Can you click the three vertical dots at the top right of your Chrome browser window (just to the right of the address bar) and choose More Tools > Extensions from the drop-down menu? Look for the 1Password extension and find out what version it says. You may have to make sure it's activated, as well. If it seems current (4.7.2.90) and active, then I'd like you to delete it and re-install it. To do that, quit and restart Chrome, then visit https://1pw.ca/browser and install a fresh copy. See if that gets thing working again. Let us know how it goes! :)

• Sara_B
    Sara_B
    Community Member

so I was able to get 1password to start working again by uninstalling and reinstalling the Chrome extension from the link you provided. I WAS running 4.7.2.90, but for some reason it needed to be reinstalled.
    The ext. number I gave was my misunderstanding... I thought it meant Desktop v 7.07 (70007000).
    Thanks for the help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Sara_B - I figured that might be the case. Glad to hear things are squared away for you now! :)

• brian67
    brian67
    Community Member

Well I have done all that too (install ,uninstall, restart) and running chrome extension version 4.6.2.90 on mac OS X10.3.
    Still, Auto fill does not work and have to do it manually. ! P also does not offer to save new logins. Google Mail login is in 2 parts now, username, then new screen for password - Ip won't even fill password in manually

Running 1Password 7 app. 7.0.7

Thanks for any help

• @brian67

Have you tried restarting your Mac since this problem began? If Chrome has been updated but not restarted 1Password will be unable to interact with it until Chrome is restarted. Restarting the Mac may give all of the moving pieces the kick they need.

Ben

• brian67
    brian67
    Community Member

Thanks Ben.
    You were right. I did to restart the Mac and the extension kicked in but the problem persists. I have to right click on the input field, select 1 password. It finds the login and then I have to click to insert the field data.

• claywise
    claywise
    Community Member

Howdy.

I've just signed up with 1Password today, and I'm not having any success getting it to work.

I'm using Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 and Chrome.

Downloaded the app; have been dutifully saving login information when I visit a website.

But then, whether I'm online or using the app from my desktop, nothing happens. In other words, I can go to, say, Amazon, and I've added an Amazon login, but the login page requires me to input everything I did before (login and pw). So obviously, I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it might be.

Can you help? Thanks.

• claywise
    claywise
    Community Member

P.S. When I click on a login then click "fill in" via the app, again, nothing happens.

• Hi @claywise, and @brian67,

1Password doesn't fill anything until you tell it to. That is intentional. There are a few ways you can tell 1Password to fill:

1. Use the keyboard shortcut (Cmd+\ by default)
    2. Click on the 1Password icon in the toolbar and then select the Login item you'd like to fill

Cmd+\ is typically the preferred method. :)

Ben

• claywise
    claywise
    Community Member

OK, thank you. I think, also, that I have a bunch of passwords set up as autofill with Google, which I need to unwind somehow.

• brian67
    brian67
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Wow. That's quite a surprise, as I thought autofill was a basic function of a password manager. Obviously this is not highlighted in Agile's basic instructions.

I will have to switch back to my previous manager, especially as I cannot get 1 P to save new logins either. Or is this a hidden feature too?

I have a simple locked note listing passwords. I'm thinking it wil be just as fast to record, cut and paste from this app than to use 1 P.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

If you can't save new logins, it's at least a possibility that your 1PW is in frozen (read-only) mode. That would happen if you have subscribed but not paid and your free trial is over; it can also happen if you have a licence but have not installed the licence. Please check this

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @brian67! We do things a little differently with respect to autofill than some others do it. For one, don't take any action that you don't specifically request. If you are in the browser extension or the main 1Password application and you click on a Login item, that's a "request": 1Password knows you intend to open this login page and enter your information -- so that's what it does. 1Password will open a new tab (or window, depending on settings), fill in the saved URL, and attempt to enter your saved information.

1Password doesn't fill in your information just because you visit a site for which you have one or more saved Login records in 1Password, however, because that would be a security hole. As our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, jpgoldberg explains in this 2014 post in this forum, this would enable a class of automated attacks that would actually substantially lower your security.

However, if you're not able to save new logins or fill existing ones even when you're following the instructions, then it sounds like something's not configured properly on your Mac. Is that what's happening?

• brian67
    brian67
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I read the 2014 article and see the argument, however, with the growth of 2FA (which I use as much as possible -not sms) I believe the article needs an update.

Suddenly 1 Password is intermittently offering to save a new login - worked on one site but did not work with a Canadian online banking service (Tangerine. Lastpass works well with this site). 1 Password still fails to work with Gmail's 2-pop up sign in. 1 P will enter the email but will not enter the password in the second popup either with the keyboard shortcut or manually from the Password app. Chrome extension 4.6.2.9/ Mac OS X10.13.3

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@brian67 - Google is actually one of the sites we use for demo, so I know it works. If you're having troubles with it, I suggest re-saving the Login item, using these instructions. I'd also recommend not running multiple password managers. We've not tested each and every potential situation, but these all look for many of the same flags and triggers, and can potentially interfere with one another. When you hit a site that - for whatever reason - doesn't trigger 1Password's save feature, you're not out in the cold. First, if you've generated a password for the site as part of the sign-up process, you will always be able to find the password item by clicking on Passwords in the categories list, then sorting by Date Created and looking for the first item. From there, you can go to the site's actual login page (which is often different from the registration page), and try entering the data again. Or, if you prefer, save the Login manually which can have a greater success rate. Either way, you're covered. Hope that helps. :)

• brian67
    brian67
    Community Member

Great. That worked.

Thanks for all your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@brian67 you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.