Can 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 share a vault (synced on Dropbox) seamlessly?

BruceB
BruceB
Community Member

Our family is running 1Password 6 on several Macs, syncing via Dropbox shared folder. Vault is also synced/accessed by various iOS devices running whatever is the latest iOS version of 1Password.

If I upgrade some of the Macs to 1Password 7, will the vault sharing and syncing continue to work, with the mix of 1Password 6, 1Password 7, and 1Password iOS?

Some of our computers cannot be upgraded past OS X 10.11 El Capitan (unless I use "hacks") and so they cannot be upgraded to 1Password 7.

Also, is the launch special on 1Password 7 still in effect or did I miss that?

(This must have been answered somewhere in the forums already but I searched and could not find it.)
Thanks -Bruce

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: "current"
OS Version: OS X various
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BruceB - excellent questions!

If I upgrade some of the Macs to 1Password 7, will the vault sharing and syncing continue to work, with the mix of 1Password 6, 1Password 7, and 1Password iOS?

Yes. There should be no incompatibilities in that mix.

Also, is the launch special on 1Password 7 still in effect or did I miss that?

It's still in effect. And I hate to sound alarmist, but this is longer than I would've personally bet the launch special would last. But then I don't make those decisions. My point here is: I wouldn't count on it being around indefinitely.

Having said all of that, if you have multiple family members, I'd be remiss if I didn't make sure you were clear about some of the differences in how licenses are sold now, versus in the past. Since the rollout of 1Password Families, we've retired the old "family license" that allowed up to five people to use it, at a comparatively discounted price versus individual licenses. For 1Password 7 for Mac, licenses are once again sold per-person. So you'll need a license for each family member. That's not so bad if it's just you and a spouse or partner. But add a few kids or grandparents into the mix, and things get expensive fast. I don't know if you've had a look at all the advantages of a 1password.com account, but from a purely financial perspective, it might be the better option -- unless you're a dedicated standalone devotee.

This discussion has been closed.