Most items from 1Password 6 do not appear in 1Password 7

yogifluter
yogifluter
Community Member

I recently upgraded from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. Only 61 of my 516 items were imported into the new vault. The only way I can access most passwords is through my iphone or ipad, which would also seem to indicate that syncing (via Dropbox) is not working.

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @yogifluter! Sorry for the trouble you're experiencing right now. Can I ask: on your Mac, if you open and unlock 1Password 7 for Mac and visit Preferences > Vaults, how many vaults do you see there, and what are their names?

• yogifluter
    yogifluter
    Community Member

Thanks, Lars. There is a vault called "Tim Taylor," which is checked, and one underneath it called "Personal," also checked.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@yogifluter - thanks. It sounds as if you've created a 1password.com account. This is different from standalone 1Password data (synced via Dropbox). What do you see in terms of vaults on your iPhone and iPad when you tap Settings > Vaults?

• yogifluter
    yogifluter
    Community Member

Under "ON DROPBOX" it says "Primary."

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@yogifluter - OK. That's standalone data, not a 1password.com account. The question is whether you would like to remain using standalone data synced via Dropbox, or go with the 1password.com account you set up. I'm assuming the latter, since you went to the trouble of setting it up, but let me know if that's not the case, and I can give you instructions for either scenario. :)

• yogifluter
    yogifluter
    Community Member

I don't know what the difference is. I'm a single user, two Macs, 2 IOS devices. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@yogifluter - There are currently two ways to use 1Password:There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

I asked because you said in one earlier post that you had a Primary vault on Dropbox. That would be standalone data, manually synced. But prior to that, you said that you had a vault called "Personal," which indicates you created a 1password.com account. If it were me, I would choose the 1password.com membership/account for numerous reasons, but the choice is yours. You should definitely choose one or the other, however, since using both can be confusing and also potentially result in you not having your data where you want it, when you want it. Can you let me know which way you'd like to go, please?

• yogifluter
    yogifluter
    Community Member

Thanks! The standalone version sounds best for me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@yogifluter - if that's the case, then you'll want to make sure you visit your 1password.com account in a browser and click the Billing tab in the right sidebar and make sure you don't have any payment information entered, or you will be billed at the end of the 30-day free trial. Once that's done, you can relax on that score; at the end of 30 days you account will simply enter Frozen status, indefinitely.

In the meantime, the best path forward will be for you to do the following:

1. With 1Password open, click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data. This will get erase all 1Password 7 for Mac data on your Mac, and start you over as if you were a new user. Don't worry - this does not affect your previous data from 1Password 6 for Mac.
    2. In the Welcome (new user) screen that pops up, click "More Options" and then "Search my Mac"
    3. In the list of available options, you'll probably see your Dropbox sync keychains, but you should also see either 1Password from our website or 1Password from the Mac App Store. Click to select whichever one of those you see, then click "Use Selected Vault." This will import your entire previous 1Password 6 for Mac database into 1Password 7, and you'll see the lock screen to enter your Master Password.
    4. Enter your previous Master Password for your 1Password 6 for Mac data, and you'll unlock your vault. It will now be in Read Only mode, since you no longer have either a 1password.com account or a license for version 7.
    5. Click the Read Only badge you'll see in all of your items in the main 1Password window, and you'll be taken to our FastSpring store where you can purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac.
    6. Once you've paid ($49.99 during the current "launch special" pricing), you'll receive an email with a link to your license file. Double-click it to license 1Password. You'll need to repeat this process (not the purchase, the installing the license) on any other Macs you want to use 1Password 7 on.

Hope that helps! :)

• yogifluter
    yogifluter
    Community Member

Thanks. If I try to use my 1Password 6 vault on Dropbox, 1Password 7 doesn't recognize it and won't let me use it. The filename is 1Password.agilekeychain.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@yogifluter - please re-read my step #3 above. Do not use your old Agile Keychain, for reasons you've just discovered: it doesn't work in 1Password 7 for Mac. Instead, please see if there is an option in the "Search My Mac" window for something that says either "1Password from our website" or "1Password from the Mac App Store." Use one of these. If you don't see either of these, let me know.

ref: HCP-14791-337

This discussion has been closed.