Passwords ?

wrcguy
wrcguy
Community Member

Hello,
Recently getting to grips with 1Password and so far so good. Gradually loading all of my passwords on my Mac Desktop version from Safari.
My questions is, for example, when logging on the same site on my iPhone on the app (Facebook). Does the new and stronger password I generated in my desktop site automatically transfer across to my IOS device in the app itself ?. Hope that makes sense and looking forward to some advice !

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@wrcguy in order to transfer your Mac passwords to your iPhone you have to use some form of synchronisation in 1Password. A standalone licence allows you to synchronise between the two devices using Dropbox, iCloud or Wi-Fi. If you take out a subscription (with monthly or yearly payments) to 1Password.com that handles the synchronisation for you—which some people prefer because it's simpler.

This AgileBits' page will give you more information and links:

Sync your 1Password data

Stephen

• wrcguy
    wrcguy
    Community Member

Hi Stephen, Thanks for your help. I will take a look at the link you provided. As I am openly running a trial version are all the syncing options available to me ?. Also, I am running an older version of 1Password on my Mac (6.8.9) as it won't accept the latest version as it is quite old so will that hamper me do you think ?. Anyway, I am sure I will work it out. Thanks again

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@wrcguy:

As I am openly running a trial version are all the syncing options available to me ?.

I assume you mean the freely downloaded 1Password for iOS: is that correct? There's no trial version of 1Password currently available (so far as I'm aware) unless you download 1Password 7 and start a trial subscription. But you say:

I am running an older version of 1Password on my Mac (6.8.9)

so I don't think you've done that!

In any event, 1Password 6 for Mac will still sync to your iPad using any of the methods described in the link given in my previous post.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @wrcguy! There actually is a trial version of 1Password 6 for Mac, it was only in 1Password 7 for Mac that we removed the trial of the standalone version.

There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made. Of the two of these options, the 1password.com membership/account is by far the better choice for most users. Syncing happens automatically, there's nothing to set up or maintain, no 3rd party sync APIs to worry about, licenses to upgrade, none of that. You download and install any of our apps on any device you have, sign into your 1password.com account, and that's it. Let us know if you have any questions or troubles getting set up! :)

• wrcguy
    wrcguy
    Community Member

Thanks very much for your help. I have another question. I was, before signing up for 1Password, using ICloud keychain to store all of my passwords. I have this morning been updating some of my less secure passwords using the password generator. Will my newly generated password automatically update across iCloud key

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@wrcguy - I'm not quite sure what you're asking me. If you're saying that previously you were using iCloud keychain itself, then no -- if you switch to 1Password, we recommend you turn off your browsers' built-in password manager(s). It can be confusing if you've got two mechanisms asking you to save/fill data into login fields; you may think you've saved something in one place, when you've really saved it in another, etc.

If you meant only that you were previously syncing your 1Password data via iCloud, then yes -- that should continue to work. But to be clear: there is no interaction/sync between iCloud keychain and 1Password.

ref: HFM-97157-179

This discussion has been closed.