I'm migrating to a new MacBookPro & can't open 1Password. I bought the standalone so no key.

sabre
sabre
Community Member

I used migration assistant to move things from the old computer to the new. I had a message that 1Password was damaged so I deleted it and downloaded the new version. I can't open it as I don't have a key because I [purchased the app rather than having a membership. I need to get my passwords onto the new machine.

1Password Version: 7 on new machine 6.8.8 on old
Extension Version: 6.8.8
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Icloud
Referrer: forum-search:migrating macbook

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

There is one problem, in that you bought a licence for 1PW6, and 1PW7 needs a new licence.

You can download 1PW6 instead of 7. Go to the Downloads link at the foot of the main 1password page and when you open that link you will find 1PW6 towards the bottom of that page.

Apart from that, I have found some problems with claims that a program (not just 1PW) was damaged after I updated my OS. If you still have problems after downloading 1PW6, I can give details of what to try.

You'll have to make sure, once 1PW6 opens properly, that you take the option to go with a licenced version rather than a subscription.

Sooner or later you should move up to 1PW7, either subscription or licence, but let's get 1PW6 running on your new machine before thinking of that.

• @danco and @sabre,

As far as I'm aware only Mac App Store apps can cause a display of a damaged dialog, so they'd need to install from their App Store.app Purchases tab rather than search for 1Password in the App Store or install from our website (both scenarios would result in data migrations).

• sabre
    sabre
    Community Member

Thank you Danco! I now have 1Password6 running on the new computer. Now I have to figure out how to upgrade!

Sabre

• sabre
    sabre
    Community Member

I just realised that I now have a one month trial rather than the purchased version I had on the old machine. I need to upgrade keeping my vault of passwords. How do I do that?

• @sabre

You can read about the upgrade here:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• sabre
    sabre
    Community Member

Ben

That doesn't help at all. It puts me back to where i was before. I lose the ability to access my passwords.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sabre - it shouldn't. If you were able to successfully get 1Password 6 for Mac running on your new Mac, and it contains all your previous data, then you should be able to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac quite smoothly -- though if you want to continue to use 1Password in standalone mode, you'll want to download it from our downloads page instead of from the Mac App Store, as in version 7 we don't offer a standalone purchase option. But the version of 1Password 7 for Mac from our website will recognize and import 1Password 6 for Mac data from either the Mac App Store version or our version, and you should be set!

• sabre
    sabre
    Community Member

I have been trying to do that but if i try to sign up for 1Password7 it says the password I had before was too short. I don't see how it is going to marry up the new one with the old one. I also don't remember what email address I used when I first bought 1Password a few years ago.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sabre - in 1password.com accounts, we have a minimum limit of 10 characters for Master Passwords. We also prevent certain obvious and easy-to-crack combinations like "aaaaaaaaaa" and "password123," etc. There's very little point in having a fortress if you leave the front door wide open (or at least unlocked). If you're getting a message saying your old Master Password is too short, that means you're trying to sign up for a 1password.com account. Is that what you want to do? If so, great -- just choose a new, strong Master Password, and create your 1password.com account. If you want to continue using 1Password in standalone mode with local data, however, you need to NOT create a 1password.com account. Can you clarify for us which of these things you want to do? Standalone or 1password.com account? Either one will require a purchase from you, as 1Password 7 for Mac is a new version. So can you let us know whether you'd like to purchase a new standalone license, or create a 1password.com account? Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.