Watchtower shows password items as reused passwords with my logins

surrealx
surrealx
Community Member

Hello, using Mac version 7 when I click into Reused passwords, it was showing about 100 passwords reused that were simply logins and their related password item from creation.

I, unfortunately, had just finished deleting all the password items by hand when I found a thread about this on the Windows side and was told this should not be occurring on the Mac version. Not sure if anything can be done since they are deleted now.

1Password 7
Version 7.0.7 (70007000)
AgileBits Store

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox & Family

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@surrealx: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry for the confusion. This is working as designed. Watchtower should tell you about reused passwords. If you have both a Password and Login item with the same password, that's pretty straightforward. You should get that same result regardless of the platform — macOS, Windows, web. The only thing that will change in the future is that the new Windows app will be updated to automatically remove a Password item when you save a Login for it instead, rather than keeping both. Any time you use a new password generated by 1Password, it saves this as a Password item as a safety net. That way if you don't save a Login for the site, you don't end up getting locked out: you still have the password saved. I hope this helps clear that up. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• surrealx
    surrealx
    Community Member

@Greg I update my passwords by choosing password generator from the browser extension or the menu bar.

@brenty from a user standpoint this expected behavior makes the reused passwords very cluttered with things that are not really relevant since the password item and the login item are for the same site/account. Would be great for either the auto clean up you are mentioning or a filter to hide anything that is a dupe login/password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@surrealx - thanks for the feedback. You can always convert passwords into logins if you prefer, or you can delete the password items. However, if the password and the login item have the same exact title, they will not appear in the list of duplicated passwords (though it must match exactly).

This discussion has been closed.