I changed Vault location and now there's two files

ddmincorporated
ddmincorporated
Community Member

Somehow in the process of moving to a new desktop, my Dropbox folder got duplicated and exits both in its old nested location AND in my Home directory. The Home directory is the active Dropbox on the new computer but 1Password was still using the old nested location.

After discovering this, I
1. copied the 1Password file from the old Dropbox to the active one
2. Went into SYNC tab of 1Password
3. Set Vault to none (did not delete)
4. Waited 15 seconds
5. Set Vault to Dropbox and pointed at the active Dropbox

Oddly, there are two files in the 1Password folder now. One is called 1Password.agilekeychain and the other is 1Password.opvault.

How can I straighten out this mess?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ddmincorporated - this isn't a "mess," it's by design. Agile Keychain was a great format in its day, but that day has passed and Agile Keychain is now over a decade old! The replacement, OPVault, has been out for four years now and represents significant improvements in size and flexibility and smaller improvements in security over Agile Keychain. If you create new sync keychains now from either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows, they will all be in the OPVault format, and although we still allow users to sync with Agile Keychains in 1Password 6 for Mac, we've actually retired it altogether in the new 1Password 7 for Mac, so it's good you're addressing this now.

Assuming you have all your data synced with the new OPVault, you'll just need to do the same on all other devices that were previously using the Agile Keychain (turn sync off and then back on, but point it at the OPVault instead of the Agile Keychain), and you should be all set! :) I'd clean up the old Agile Keychains if I were you, as well as the duplicated copy of your 1Password folder in Dropbox. The preferred location is Apps/1Password/ (inside Dropbox), so use that one.

• ddmincorporated
    ddmincorporated
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars . I didn't mean anyone's mess but my own. I've had 1Password for many years. Version 3 I think and there's always been the 1Password folder in Dropbox root. The OPVAULT file is only 8MB whereas the agilekeychain was 30MB. Did the various attachments get stripped?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ddmincorporated - no worries! Yes, an OPVault containing the same information as an Agile Keychain will typically be several times smaller, so the figures you report seem well within the normal range to me (no, your attachments weren't stripped).

For the first time in our history, 1Password 7 for Mac is fully sandboxed, which means there are limits to what folders we can access in your Dropbox account -- if you like leaving it at the root of your Dropbox folder, you can: /1Password is one of the approved locations, and /Apps/1Password is the other. If you put your sync keychain anywhere else, it's going to cause trouble. But if you prefer /1Password to /Apps/1Password, it's OK. Let us know if you have any further questions.

This discussion has been closed.