How do I set up a different password than my Master Password for a "Primary" vault on my Mac

BrianGibb
BrianGibb
Community Member

I have set up 1Password 7 to share my passwords between my Mac, my iPhone and my iPad. However, for one of the user accounts on my Mac, I have also created up a "Primary" vault, local only to this account. I would like to give this vault a different password than the Master password I use for the shared vault.

1Password Version: 7.07
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password account
Referrer: forum-search:primary vault password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @BrianGibb! I'm not quite sure what you mean by "created a Primary vault," since the first vault that's created by default in ALL 1Password (standalone) installations is called "Primary." Do you mean you have TWO vaults called Primary? On that one user account on your Mac, if you unlock 1Password 7 for Mac and visit Preferences > Vaults, what do you see there? How many vaults, and what are they called?

• BrianGibb
    BrianGibb
    Community Member

I converted to 1Password 7 from 1Password 6. This created me a vault called Personal, shared over 1Password's site. Then, in a second user account on my Mac, I then created a second vault, which I called Test account. This one, too, is shared over 1Password's site. However, it has the same password as Personal, and is visible in all the other user accounts on my Mac. My objective was to have the new vault only visible in the one user account. (This is how I had things set up in 1Password 6.)

So then I went to Preferences -> Advanced and checked Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts, and created a third vault which is called Primary, on my Mac. Now I want to set a different password for this vault.

In Preferences -> Vaults, I see:
    Brian Gibb
    Personal
    Test account
    Primary

In the 1Password window, under All Vaults, Personal and Test account are listed under BRIAN GIBB (presumably my 1Password account), and Primary under ON MY MAC.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BrianGibb - thanks for the clarification. So, the way this works is as follows: any vaults you create within your 1password.com account will be synced to all instances of 1Password you're signed into with this account. That's the whole point: sync is taken care of for you. If you want a single vault that's only visible/usable in one user account on one Mac, then you'll need to do what you did - create a standalone vault which is NOT part of your 1password.com account, in order to achieve that.

When you click the button to Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts, what you're doing is enabling local (standalone) vaults. You were required to create a Master Password which could've been the same as the one for your account but didn't have to be. For ease of use, I hope you chose the same one -- if you did not, I suggest you change it to match the one for your account unless you need to keep them separate for security reasons.

"Brian Gibb" is not a vault, it's your account. That's why the vaults underneath are indented. So, your vaults are "Personal" (which is the default vault for any individual 1password.com account) and "Test account" (which is the vault you created within your account) and "Primary." To get where you want to be, you'll need to delete the Test Account vault (making sure it's empty first), and that should leave you with only your Primary and Personal vaults in that one user account on your Mac. Make sense? Let me know if you have any questions.

• BrianGibb
    BrianGibb
    Community Member

So how do I change the password on the stand alone vault without also changing the one for the vault in my 1Password account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BrianGibb - oh, that's easy: when you "turn on" standalone vaults, then whatever Master Password you give the vault you create (Primary) becomes the default Master Password for opening the app (in that user account only). It can be the same as the one for your 1password.com account, or different, but if you have a Primary vault, the password for that vault is the one that will unlock 1Password. If you want to change Master Passwords in that user account only, open 1Password Preferences > Security and you'll see the option right at the top. Changing this will change ONLY your Primary vault's password, not your account's Master Password.

• BrianGibb
    BrianGibb
    Community Member

Thanks - it's set up the way I want now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BrianGibb - great! Glad I was able to help get you where you wanted to be. :)

This discussion has been closed.