just wanting to know if I can print a list of the passwords stored in the app

nana1dottie
nana1dottie
Community Member

in the event of computer failure can I print out a list of stored password in the I Password program?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:just wanting to know if I can print a list of the passwords stored in the app

Comments

• Hi @nana1dottie,

While you can do so, it is not recommended, for a few reasons:

1. The data in 1Password isn’t static. What you print today may only be 80% accurate in a week or a month down the road. Re-printing your data frequently is hugely inefficient. Are you going to print a fresh page every time you save a new account or change a password? I know for me that wouldn’t work. I’ve got over a thousand items saved in 1Password, and most of them are subject to change at some point.
    2. The process of restoring from such a “backup” would be quite time consuming and has a much higher chance of human error. Consider that generated passwords might look something like this: (K2ednBYwebTtX$QDMvAyR That is fairly difficult to read from a printed page and type, and an error in typing even one character could be very difficult to spot. It might go unnoticed for some time. And when it is noticed it may be difficult (or too late) to correct.

If you are using a 1Password membership (subscription) your encrypted data is automatically backed up on 1Password.com. In the event of a computer failure you just need your Emergency Kit and Master Password to get signed back in:

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

If you do not have a membership (you may want to consider one) a digital backup is still likely to be much more efficient and effective. I’d recommend an external hard drive along with something like Apple’s Time Machine feature built-into macOS.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

In fact an external hard drive with Time Machine plus a second external drive to which your computer is cloned (using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner), and maybe some kind of data backup to the cloud, is often recommended for safety. The more the merrier. Once one is considering disaster recovery, cloud backup covers everything being stolen or destroyed by fire or flood. The great advantage of Time Machine is that it is built in to Apple's system, so just needs turning on, whereas cloning or cloud backup involves setting things up

• Indeed. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.