How to delete all 1pw7 files

zx9r
zx9r
Community Member

Transition from 1pw6 to subscription 1pw7 has been a disaster for me. I can no longer login to the Mac app or 1password.com despite knowing my master pw and secret key. So I've decided to try to go back to 1pw6 with an older backup of my database.

Where are the files that need to be deleted on my Mac to have it behave as if ver 7 was never installed? I've deleted the ver 7 app but I now can't login to ver 6. In Preferences it is showing 1Password.com under Accounts but the + and - are greyed out so I can't remove the subscription account.

Any guidance on the best files to remove would be appreciated. I'll probably start with the preferences files but I suspect I need to also purge other files like the newer database, etc

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

I can't login to my account nor my 1Password app on my Mac. I just switched to subscription after many years using standard apps. I changed my Master password to a stronger one being that it would be online but now can access anything. I can still use 1Password on my iPhone X.

I am on the personal trial before switching the rest of the family over (glad I didn't screw everyone else up...) so I have no recovery options it seems.

How do I pretend this never happened and go back to the standard version? How do I reset my password on your website?

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

I should have mentioned that I don't think this is a case of a forgotten password. Safari saved the my.1password.com password when I created it so it isn't a matter of writing it down wrong. Yet this password no longer works on 1password.com, the 1PW7 app or on my iPhone when I try to change the master pw under settings.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@zx9r - I'm sorry for the trouble; it shouldn't be that difficult. I can definitely understand the instinct to return to something you know well and that works for you, but I can't in good conscience recommend staying on version 6 as any kind of a long-term or indefinite strategy, because it isn't. Like most software, when a new version is released, the old version stops receiving development attention or new features, meaning it's essentially frozen in time. For a while, this may not pose too much of an issue, but the longer the time gets, the more likelihood of incompatibilities or other problems.

Returning to 1Password 6 for Mac is easy enough, as the two versions store their data in completely separate locations which don't interact or interfere with one another. Just make sure you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then delete version 7 by dragging it to the trash. After that, opening 1Password 6 for Mac should function as it always has.

However, if you successfully created a 1password.com account, you would have been asked to create a Master Password for that account, which could have been but doesn't have to be the same as the Master Password you'd been using previously in standalone 1Password 6 on your Mac. Did you use something new when you created your account? If you visit your account at https://my.1password.com (assuming it's an individual account), and you're not able to sign in, make sure the Secret Key is correct as well as your email address. If they are, then it's down to the Master Password. If you can't remember it or can't seem to sign in, you can write to our email team at support+forum@agilebits.com and we can send you a deletion email to have your account deleted. Then, signing up for a new one from the same email address is easy -- and I can answer any questions you might have. The choice is yours, but I'd hate to see you or anyone else staying behind on 1Password 6 for Mac just because you hit an easily-fixable snag in getting upgraded. Let me know if you have any questions.

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

Hi Lars. Thanks I understand and agree with your comment about keeping up with current tech as I'm also in a software company. I'm actually trying to revert to v6 as a recovery step and will try again with v7 at a future date.

I did create a new Master PW when I created the my.1password account so I'll email support.

What's strange is that even after deleting v7 application, I can't log into v6 now so apparently it is either trying to open the v7 database or has picked up the preferences.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@zx9r - I'm happy to help take a look at it, but if you'd like me to do that, then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#TRE-65232-818]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @zx9r only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: TRE-65232-818

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@zx9r - I'm wondering if you still want an answer to this one, given that we've been discussing it already in your other thread (edit: full conversation from both threads has been merged here)? Let me know.

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

Thanks Lars! I just sent the diagnostic report

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

Hello Lars, at this posting I was still hopeful I could recover somehow without reverting back to v6 and a not up to date database. But hopefully once I have access to v6 again, I'll have better luck when I upgrade again

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.