Data not imported into 1Password 7

aeldershaw
aeldershaw
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Mac

I upgraded from old 1Passport5 -> 6 and yesterday to 7. On opening there is not a single password/any data from my previous 1Passport. I have scoured the forum for answers and seen to look for backup zip files - found a backup zip file. I tried to open it but then the app crashed. Unsure what else to try. Loved the previous version! Now agitated as I have many many passwords stored somewhere but cannot access them. Please help!

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.0.7
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @aeldershaw

You mentioned that you’ve been syncing your data with iCloud. Have you set up that syncing in 1Password 7?

How to sync 1Password with iCloud

Ben

• aeldershaw
    aeldershaw
    Community Member

Hi Ben, Sorry for being so vague - need a teenage son to visit! Seems I maybe don't synch with iCloud because it doesn't come up as an option (there is no "synch" icon). What/where else could I have hidden the data?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@aeldershaw - you didn't hide the data. What you did appears to have been: created a 1password.com account. That's not a bad thing at all. In fact it's the best way to use 1Password now. But we'll need to import your previous data. To do that, in 1Password 7 for Mac, go to File > Import and in the pop-up screen that looks like this:

...choose the 1Password 6 option. This will import your previous 1Password 6 database in its entirety, if pointed at the correct file. To do that:

1. After selecting 1Password 6, click "Choose File" in the second window
    2. Click the drop-down menu at the top of the window, like this:
    3. ...and scroll backward until the first instance of "Library," right above the house icon with your Mac username, like this:

This will put you at the root of your Library folder.
    4. From there, if your previous 1Password 6 version was from the Mac App Store, click through the folders from there, to ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite. If 1Password 6 was downloaded/purchased directly from us, navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite.
    5. Click "Open" - this should import your previous 1Password 6. Let me know how that goes for you! :)
  • aeldershaw
    aeldershaw
    Community Member

Hi Ben - You are a genius!!! All done. No need to call in my teenage boys. Thanks so much for the assistance. Regards
    Annette

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@aeldershaw - awesome! Glad we were able to assist. :)

• SecretDude
    SecretDude
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

This seemed like a decent thread to tag on to. My wife was using the purchased (not app store) version of 1Password 6 on Mac, and she just started a trial subscription of 1Password 7, so she could also use the app on her iPhone. I performed the upgrade, and was happy how intuitive it was getting the old data to the new version of the app. However, the new app did't import about a half dozen of the newest entries/updates (some were new passwords, and one was an update to a credit card expiration date). These entries were all at least a couple of weeks old. Is there any explanation why this might happen?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SecretDude: Probably, but it's impossible to say with so little information. On the device where she had all of her existing data in the first place, what vaults are setup there? I think the problem may be that there were multiple copies of 1Password with different data, and the "wrong" one was used when setting up the new version.

This discussion has been closed.