I can log into 1Password.com with my master password, but the chrome extension and mac app dont work

mcowher
mcowher
Community Member

My master password works on the web browser, but the app and chrome extension tell me that my master password is wrong

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I can log into 1Password.com with my master password, but the chrome extension and mac app dont work

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mcowher! I'm sorry for the trouble you're experiencing. It's difficult to say for certain what might be wrong specifically with your setup, but from the sound of it, is it possible you are a user of standalone 1Password who's created a new 1password.com account, and given it a different Master Password? If so, please try your older Master Password in 1Password for Mac and see if that works. Let me know what you discover! If that doesn't take care of the issue, then please tell me what version of macOS you are running, what version of 1Password for Mac, what version of Chrome and of the 1Password extension in Chrome. Thanks!

• mcowher
    mcowher
    Community Member

Hi! I am a new user, and have only had one password. i'm running 1Password 7, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), the most up to date version of chrome and the extension, since i just added the extension today

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mcowher - thanks for the additional information. If you're a new user, then you won't have any old data that needs keeping/protecting. So I'd like you to open 1Password 7 for Mac (don't need to unlock, just launch the app), then click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. This will erase all of your local 1Password data. Don't worry; the server still has the data, this is just to clear out whatever's not working correctly here. When you re-open 1Password after that, it will be as if you're a brand-new user. Click to sign in with your 1password.com account credentials and either use your setup code from your Emergency Kit, or enter your email address, sign-in address, Secret Key and Master Password manually. This should get you back into your account within 1Password 7 for Mac.

If you DO have other accounts or local 1Password data, do NOT take the above steps, as it will delete your local data. But if you have only the one 1Password account, and you've got both your Secret Key and Master Password, this will be the fastest way to get you back up and running.

• mcowher
    mcowher
    Community Member

Fixed!! Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mcowher - thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I'm glad I was able to help you get things squared away. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great weekend, and thanks for being a 1Password customer!

This discussion has been closed.