Master Password Reset Itself

dylanroscover
dylanroscover
Community Member

Greetings everyone,
I've been a 1Password user for many years now, and about a year ago I changed my master password when I converted to a subscription account (vs. desktop-only license).

Everything was working fine until a few days ago, when the Mac app now only accepts the old master password from the desktop days, and revokes the new (subscription) one. My iOS/PC counterparts continue to behave as expected (correct master password works, old one does not).

How does something like this happen? Should I reinstall the Mac app?

Thanks, Dylan

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox (Vaults) / 1Password Account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dylanroscover - it's a little hard to be certain just from your description, but it sounds as if you may have an old, local (standalone) vault on your Mac. If so, that will be your Primary vault and whatever you were using for the Master Password then will be the same now. That may account for the discrepancy. Can you check for me? If you open Preferences > Vaults, what do you see there? On your iOS device, it would be Settings > Vaults -- are they the same?

• dylanroscover
    dylanroscover
    Community Member

@Lars yes, I have a local vault on my Mac. I've had it for months now, with no issues. Why all of a sudden would 1Password decide to revoke my master password, though? I thought that the subscription service overrides anything local, was this changed recently? I'm having trouble understanding why this stopped working all-of-a-sudden, not the month+ ago when I added the vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@dylanroscover - 1Password doesn't "revoke" your Master Password, but it will change based upon what vault you have in the primary position. 1password.com accounts don't "override" anything local; if you are using a single 1password.com account, then the Master Password for that account will be the same as the one you use within 1Password for Mac. If you then turn on local vaults support by visiting Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts, then you'll need to create a password for the new Primary vault you create. If you have multiple 1password.com accounts but no local data within 1Password for Mac, then the Master Password will be the one for the first account you added to 1Password for Mac. Our usual recommendation for most people is to make the local vault password the same as the one they use for their 1password.com account, for ease of use/memory. We like to have people only needing to remember, well ONE password, not one for however many vaults they have. If you're comfortable using one Master Password to unlock 1Password for Mac and a different one to unlock your other devices that use only your 1password.com account, that's certainly an option. Or you can change the Master Password for the local vault you created by visiting Preferences > Security > Change Master Password in 1Password for Mac.

ref: web/support.1password.com#1668

This discussion has been closed.