Need help resolving "attempt to write a readonly database error" and other issues

This discussion was created from comments split from: "attempt to write a readonly database".

Comments

• boherna
    boherna
    Community Member

Hi, I upgraded to a new MacBook Pro and have the same annoying issue :(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @boherna! How did you get your old data onto this new MacBook Pro? If you simply copied over old files, either from the previous Mac's hard drive, or even from a Time Machine or other backup -- and possibly even if you use Migration Assistant, this is likely to be a permissions issue on your local Mac. In other words, the data is read-only because your Mac username/account doesn't own it and therefore doesn't have write access to it. Is that a possibility?

• boherna
    boherna
    Community Member

Yes, I used Migration Assistant. What is the solution then?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@boherna - depends on how you were previously using 1Password. Did you have a 1password.com account, or were you using standalone data/sync? If the latter, what method of sync were you using?

• boherna
    boherna
    Community Member

I.m using the standalone data/sync via Dropbox.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@boherna - OK, thanks. And is your sync keychain in Dropbox an Agile Keychain or an OPVault? And are you using version 6 or version 7 of 1Password for Mac?

• boherna
    boherna
    Community Member

OPVault in Dropbox. 1Password 7.0.7

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@boherna - excellent! Then this will be pretty straightforward:

1. With 1Password open, click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. This will erase only the 1Password data within your 1Password 7 for Mac setup, not the Dropbox sync keychain. It will make things as if you are a brand-new user.
    2. Re-open 1Password 7 for Mac and at the Welcome screen, choose to sync via Dropbox. Navigate to your OPVault in Dropbox, and you should be able to open your data with your previous Master Password. That should take care of it. Let me know if you hit any snags.
  • boherna
    boherna
    Community Member

I did it and now the issue seems to be solved but the Safari extension doesn't work now. I tried re-installing the extension but same result, I always get the error:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@boherna - where is 1Password 7 for Mac installed on your hard drive? If it's in your main /Applications folder, then would you please restart your Mac and try this again? If it's not there, try moving it into the Applications folder and restarting. Let me know how that goes for you.

• boherna
    boherna
    Community Member

I restarted my Mac and now 1Password shows no Items inside :(

I know the items are in the vault because I can see them in my iPad and iPhone. Now what?

• boherna
    boherna
    Community Member

And if I try recovering the items from any previous backup I still end up with an empty list. I need a solution for this quickly!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@boherna - sorry for the continued trouble. Can you please open Preferences > Sync in 1Password 7 for Mac and tell me what your Primary vault is synced with, currently? I mean, the name of the sync type as well as the file path? Thanks.

• boherna
    boherna
    Community Member

After the restore the sync is disabled, so nothing there. I just wonder why a simple restore from existing backups doesn't work.

Just by upgrading the computer and restoring the data from Time Machine, which is common and recommended way, look how much trouble with something that stores a lot of sensitive data.

I think 1Password should deal with any permission issues automatically and without having users to go through all this convoluted process. Very disappointing!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@boherna - please follow the instructions from my earlier post in this thread:

...choose to sync via Dropbox (in this case, set the selector to "Dropbox" in Preferences > Sync). Navigate to your OPVault in Dropbox, and you should be able to open your data with your previous Master Password. That should take care of it. Let me know if you hit any snags.

• boherna
    boherna
    Community Member

If you follow the thread you'll see I already did that and the initial permission issue was solved but then I had the other issue with the Safari extension and after restarting as you suggested, then all the items disappeared.

I will fully uninstall 1Password and start over again the painful, never ending process. I hope I can get it working again at some point.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@boherna - I don't think uninstalling 1Password 7 for Mac again is going to help much, necessarily. Can you please unlock 1Password, visit Preferences > Sync, set the drop-down menu to "Dropbox", and navigate to your OPVault in Dropbox. Let me know what happens. And if you could also let me know what the file path for your OPVault sync keychain is, that'd be great.

ref: XNG-85816-765

This discussion has been closed.