Steps to reinstall 1 Password 6 running on El Capitan after a clean install of High Sierra

R_Archer
R_Archer
Community Member

I am about to do a clean install of High Sierra from El Capitan. How do I reinstall 1PW 6 after the install? I see I can download the software, but while a picture of my "License" is shown in 1PW, I don't see a license key to activate it.
Is there a step by step anywhere that I can view to perform this without losing any data?
Also, when I execute a backup the data goes to Library/Application Support/1 Password 4/Backups in my user folder. Since I'm running 1PW 6 why is it backing up to 1PW 4?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: DROPBOX
Referrer: forum-search:steps to reinstall 1 password 6 running on el capitan after a clean install of high sierra

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @R_Archer! Let me start with this: no matter what happens with your license, you won't lose any data as a result. If you have a license for 1Password 6 for Mac, it's activated by means of a license file (sort of a specialized plist file), not through a traditional serial number-style license key. If you can open 1Password on your new install, go to the 1Password menu in your Mac's menubar and look for "License." If you see the gold seal in there with your information, you're all set. If not, then you can find the license file on your original email you received from us when you purchased. I've resent your licenses out, just in case you no longer have the original email.

To answer your question, the overall data format between 1Password 4 for Mac and version 6 is relatively unchanged, so we left the data folder in your Library untouched as 1Password 4. This is functioning as designed and doesn't cause problems.

Let us know if you have any other issues.

• R_Archer
    R_Archer
    Community Member

Seems simple enough, thanks for the quick response.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@R_Archer - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist, and let me know if you have any further questions/issues.

This discussion has been closed.