Generated password has no numbers even when toggled on

I have toggled on numbers filter on the password generator, on 1Password X app for Firefox. Although, the generated password has no numbers.

Screenshot indicating that.

This happens often, and this happens after using the "refresh" button, with the Numbers filter toggled on.

I am not sure why this might be happening.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.7 (70007000) AgileBits Sto
Extension Version: version 1.9.0 for Firefox Quantum 61.0.2 (64-bit)
OS Version: Mac OS High Sierra v 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arunsathiya: As discussed elsewhere (check it out; interesting stuff), random means that you have a chance to get any of the allowed characters in any given position, which can mean you may get no numbers, no symbols, or no letters (though the latter is much less likely). Enabling numbers just means that it is allowed to use those when generating the password, even though it might not. So this isn't a bug. But since a user probably enables numbers (or symbols) because they need at least one we'll be changing it to make sure it gives that result in the future. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member

That link is helpful!

But since a user probably enables numbers (or symbols) because they need at least one we'll be changing it to make sure it gives that result in the future. Thanks for the feedback!

Always a pleasure. Thanks for letting me know, @brenty.

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member

That link is helpful!

But since a user probably enables numbers (or symbols) because they need at least one we'll be changing it to make sure it gives that result in the future. Thanks for the feedback!

Always a pleasure. Thanks for letting me know, @brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! It was a really fun discussion. Glad if you get some enjoyment from it too. :chuffed:

• @brenty did a great job at explaining why the password generator behaves this way. We're actually planning to change it so that it always produces numbers/symbols when those settings are turned on. What makes this change a bit tricky is that we'll need to adjust the way we calculate password strength. A password that is guaranteed to have at least one number is actually a little less random than a password that may have zero or more numbers. So the strength will need to be penalized a small amount to account for this difference. The difference in strength won't materially affect the strength of the password, but we prefer to be accurate. :)

This discussion has been closed.