1Password vs 1Password 6 syncing issues

Nathan79
Nathan79
Community Member

I have 3 desktop macs using 1Password, and recently found that some passwords are syncing on one computer but not another. After doing some research, I've discovered that one machine is using 1Password 6 from the AgileBits store, and the other 2 are using 1Password from the App Store. Do these different apps store password data in different locations?

If so, is there any way to sync (merge) the two password files together so we don't loose any passwords?

And then moving forward, I'm assuming it would be beneficial to make sure all my machines are using the same app. Any recommendations or pros/cons about moving forward using either app?

Thanks for any feedback.

1Password Version: 6.8.8 and 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.16
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Nathan79! Sorry for the trouble you're having keeping your Macs in sync via Dropbox. It doesn't matter if you use 1Password from the Mac App Store vs "our" version on different Macs; sync will still work just fine in that configuration, provided it's set up properly to begin with. The two apps do store their internal SQLite databases in different folders inside your user Library folder, but sync keeps them the same. And that's what I'd like to look at: your actual sync setup. If you open Preferences > Sync on each Mac, what do you see? I assume they're all set to Dropbox, but look closely at the actual file path/sync keychain. Is it identical? Or are they syncing with different keychains? Let me know what you discover.

• Nathan79
    Nathan79
    Community Member

Thanks, Lars. I feel dumb. I thought I had searched on the forums last week that others were having the same problem. Per your recommendation, I opened up Preferences > Sync and found that my Primary vault was only synced locally and it was not synced with Dropbox. I just synced it with Dropbox and my missing logins appeared. Problem solved. Thanks!

• Glad to hear that’s all it was. No need to feel dumb. Would much rather have it be that than something more significant. :) On behalf of Lars you’re very welcome and if we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.